Olanzapine for Fibromyalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was recently put on Olanzapine for Fibromyalgia, I was wondering if anyone else had experience with it for treating Fibro?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did a rheumatologist put you on the Olanzopine? This is a heavy-duty antipsychotic. Of all the atypical antipsychotics it is the one most likely to cause weight gain and sedation. You'd want to be mighty desperate to be following this path. Please stay away from the antipsychotics if you possibly can. I don't know your history. Maybe you've tried everything else. Endep? Magnesium? A pain clinic? Olanzapine is also known for causing akathisia which is a nightmare. It's just an awful drug to be on unless you've got schizophrenia and you really need it for psychosis. Fibromyalgia is awful too but unless you're anorexic I can almost guarantee you're going to stack on a lot of kilos and that will make you unhappy and worsen your health outcomes in other ways... ie increasing your chance of acquiring type 2 diabetes.
    • Posted

No, I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet, my GP put me on it. I don't care if I gain weight, I have been thing and hated it, I am much happier as a bigger person anyway, if it helps with the pain it's worth it. Supplements and vitamins are useless for me, they do absolutely nothing. I have been to physiotherapy and that only made the pain worse. Endep is Amitriptyline which I tried and again did nothing for me. I have also tried gabapentin and pregabalin. Gabapentin did nothing and pregabalin made my symptoms worse. I have gone to therapy to deal with it and that has not helped at all. People suggest meditation but that just annoys me and makes me more frustrated by the whole situation. I am sceptical about acupuncture so I won't try it, I put more stock in modern medicine. My physiotherapist used to give me massages but I found they were pretty useless too. Once my pain is eased I am happy. 
  • Posted

I have deleted the offensive comments and deactivated both user accounts - they were the same person using 2 accounts. If you come across any comments like those posted here please send me a PM (see link below) as well as reporting them and don't reply to the user, it just makes them post more.

Regards,

Alan 

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.