Olanzapine side effects upon starting??

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi there! I would like to ask regarding the side effects of olanzapine. I've read from some sources that it causes weight gain/loss... Which is more common of the 2? 

And is the weight gain only caused by an increased in appetite? If I am able to curb the cravings and maintain the same intake, will that prevent weight gain? 

If not, I am starting on a 2.5mg dose at night daily so will that low dosage cause any weight gain as well??

hope to hear some replies soon. Thanks biggrin  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I suffer from bipolar illness and am a 59 year old male. In the past I was prescribed a really high dose of Olanzapine with serious side effects. I felt like a zombie during the daytime and because of the super high dose I developed diabetes. Thankfully now I am on a maintenance dose of 10 mg. in the morning and 10 mg. at bedtime as well as diabetes medication. I can now tolerate this low a dose. My blood sugar levels have stabilized to around 5 or 6 whenever I test my blood sugar levels (which is near normal levels). As far as weight gain goes I did not suffer from that. What I did suffer from was a loss of appetite. I am eating better now to keep my diabetes in check. I can't eat food with high concentrations of carbohydrates like pasta and bread. To keep my protein level at a normal level I enjoy eating eat bean salad and pork 'n beans. Seeing how you are on such a low dose of Olanzapine I doubt that you will have any problems with your eating habits.

• Posted

hello there! thanks for sharing your experience! hmm so am i right to say that for your case, you experienced a loss of appeitite instead of what people would usually experience-an increase in appetite?

And if i really do experience a change in my appetite/cravings, would i be able to prevent weight gain by ignoring those cravings and just eating as per normal? Are there any metabolic side effects for olanzapine?

• Posted

From my own experience, Olaznapine does increase your appetite. So you must try to ignore these food cravings and eat as normal. I have been taking Olanzapine 5 mg for about over 4 months. I think I have gained about 2 kg.

To maintain weight, I have reduced alcohol consumption and this has been an effective to control weight.  

I also take Methylphenadite for ADHD and this can curb appetite.

Overall, you need some self control, which is not always easy ! Good luck.

• Posted

hello there, thanks for your reply.

so meaning the main reason why people gain weight from it is due to the increase in appetite?

i've read that for some, despite controlling their intake and even exercising more, they still gain loads on olanzapine..? why is this so?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.