Olanzapine taper

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I read an old post with a woman that shared a successful taper schedule. I'm currently taking 3.75 mg. I plan to go slow and I've been on for a month. Does anyone know at what low dose emotional numbness begins to subside?

Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

please can you let me know how the sloe taper was done. I am currently tapering at 10% every two weeks. I am wondering if that is slow enough

• Edited

My "feeling like an emotional zombie" was my number one reason for wanting off of Zyprexa/Olanzapine. I felt no emotion....not happy, not sad, no anticipation, no excitement...it was even hard for me to love...I could not cry. When I spoke with my doctor about it, he just offered additional medication. I said no thank you and just dealt with it.

I have been off Olanzapine since Feb 2018. I started my taper in June 2015 so you can see I took my sweet time.

I cry all the time now! I cry when happy, sad, at movies, at weddings LOL My zombie stupor is GONE! I began to feel myself coming back when I got under 2.5 mg per day. Once I got down to a crumb every 3 days, I noticed after 3 months or so that I was crying again! I feel it doesn't take much to numb you emotionally. But, do not worry about it never coming back. It does! I even lost that horrific craving for sugar once I got down to a very low dose.

So far, I've also lost 15 lbs of the 30 lbs I gained on that medication.

• Posted

Lucy,

I must say I was feeling pretty hopeless until I read your post and one other person that successfully tapered. you are a source of inspiration and there are thousands stuck on this horrible drug. I'm doing ok at just a little under 2.5mg. You are right about the numbness subsiding at the lower dose range. I'm going to stay here for at least a week. I'm done from 10 and last night was the first night I slept solid for 7 to 8 hours without waking up:) Granted I have only been on it about a month. How long were on it before you started your official taper in 2015?

• Posted

HiLucy. Please let me know what dose you tapered from and how you did your taper. It seems you took a very long time. Did you alternate dsys and did yiu have any help from a doctor

• Posted

You mention you were down to a crumb every 3 days. How long did you stay on this very low dosage and what rate did uou cut down by each time.

• Posted

Hey Lucy,

How long had you been taking antipsychotics, or the 2.5 mg before you started your official taper from 2.5 mg?

Thanks!

• Posted

I do not feel happy because of the olanzapine, i actually am more happy and upbeat when i do not take the drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.