Olanzapine/Zyprexa at very low dose for severe anxiety - any good?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

What are people's experience of very low dose (1.25/2,5mg) olanzapine for severe anxiety / sleeping problems? It has been suggested for me. I have severe anxiety and severe depression. Does it really help with anxiety and it is better than benzodiazapines for anxiety? - I don't get on that well with benzodiazapines and they can be very addictive and I am convinced they make me more depressed. Also has low dose olanzapine given anyone any stomach / gi problems and are there any problems wih adding to existing depression?

Thanks

C

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've been taking Olanzapine 5mg for year. It's helped reduce mood swings and moments of self harm. The drug make me feel 'flat', with fewer ups and downs. For me, the only side effect is increased appetite. I've found the drug beneficial.

I have both ADHD and autism spectrum disorder. I take Concerta (a slow release version of Ritalin) for ADHD as well as Olanzapine. As far as I can tell, taking these drugs together is fine. I also take Mirtazapine.

My ADHD doctor has recmmended that my regular GP reviews the Olanzapine use every 6 months. Olanzapine does come with side effects, which may not immediately apparent.

• Posted

What side effects are you referring to that may not show up right away?
    • Posted

From my reading, I think that Olanzapine can effect your blood pressure or contribute to glaucoma.
  • Posted

I have had a very severe condition after taking olanzipine for about 10 months. I am bipolar and it was prescribed to help my depression. It caused me to develop tardive dyskenesia. This causes involary movement of the tongue, lips and jaw. It can become very debilatating. I was taken off of it and the symp[tons are somewhat improved, but still do remain at times. I would suggest looking up tardive dyskenesia and what medications can cause this condition. You will find zyprexa as a cause. It takes some time to develop, but I only took it for 10 mos. At first, I didn't know anything about dyskenesia, but it is very frightening. 
    • Posted

How horrifying Betty - what dose were you on. Also do you mind me asking your age - I have been told tardive dyskenisia can be more common and these drugs in older people. However that isn't to say it couldn't develop in someone younger. It sounds awful.

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.