Olcranon fracture and flexion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

A month and 3 days ago I had surgery to repair my fractured olcranon. The bone broke into two so the surgeon was able to use a screw to splint the bones together. However there was a chance that this might not work because of the way the bones grab together–they might not line up properly... and this is what happened.

So, long story short, the surgeon used 2 pins and a wire to splint the bones together, which is actually quite common. However, I can't find much information about post operation.

When I left the hospital I was told not to flex my elbow beyond 90 degrees because the triceps will pull the bones apart (being connected to the wire.) After surgery the surgeon seemed very sure to remove the hardware in 6 or so weeks. But I went to a follow up appt. 2 weeks post op and saw a different doctor about the matter... she then told me to start moving my elbow immediately to prevent it from getting still, which makes sense. However, she also told me that I can flex beyond 90° and that the hardware genuinely stays forever unless it's bothersome. In that case, it's only removed in 3-6 months.

My concern is that I'm getting two statements that are contradicting meaning that someone's wrong. But I've been following the second doctors words and have been trying to flex my elbow beyond 90°. At the moment I can flex from about 10° to about 90°. Though 90° flexion is difficult and I need to force it. I feel my triceps getting pulled on when I do and it feels near impossible to flex beyond 90°. It begins to hurt, actually. Right where I can feel the pins.

All that being said, should I keep forcing to get flexion beyond 90°? At the moment I'm trying to get ahold of the surgeon who operates but he's a busy man.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would probably be following my surgeons advise. After my surgery for a shattered Radial Head with ligament injury I was not allowed to extend my elbow past 90 degrees for almost 3 months, plus no rotating my arm. Seems to soon to be trying to stretch the elbow.
  • Posted

From what I've gathered in general it's best to work with the elbow as much as you can, especially if the metal scaffolding support is strong. The elbow is a very sensitive joint if not moved it can get very stiff. A friend of mine worked through a lot of pain with PT and other types of body work and has fully recovered his range of motion. His friend who didn't go PT etc. has limited range of motion. My surgeoun said the same, work it as much as possible. He actually performed manipulation on my hand to bend and strengthen it fully during surgery (which is bit risky though in my opinion). I'm swimming, exercising yoga etc as much as I can and have seen a lot of improvement (Broke my olecranon 8 months ago). 

• Posted

You should not force your elbow. You need a good physical therapist to manipulate your muscle to extend your arm. I had a great surgeon for my fractured elbow but he is entirely ignorant of how PT works. I tried gaining extension on my own and got nowhere despite hours of daily hard work. I tried the extension machines prescibed and my conclusion is nothing replaces a good physical therapist. I am 5 months post surgery and today got to 0 degrees at PT. Good luck.
    • Posted

Your right Janice. After my surgery for a replaced elbow radial head my insurance only paid for 8 PT appts. I had great extension and flexion but after 4 years I can barely touch my face. My elbow is now to the point I was told I need a total elbow replacement. If only my insurance allowed for more PT, especially massage for the muscles I probably wouldn't have ended up where I am. The worst thing anyone can do is force the elbow/tendons/muscles before they are ready, you can end up doing more damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.