Old Bleed and mini strokes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice as getting information from the hospital is proving very difficult. They simply don't seem to know.

My Dad collapsed and was rushed into hospital weeks ago. Doctors have said he has an old bleed on the brain which has caused the problem. He was always active and showed no signs prior to the collapse but since he has lost the ability to talk. He can make sounds and looks as though he is making conversation but can not string any words together that make that we can understand. 

He has developed chest infections and has got pneumonia which they have said is delaying scans that they need to do to ascertain what is wrong. He has allegedly subsequently had a series of mini strokes and is much worse now. They have said he is going to be moved to a Neurosurgery ward so they can assess him further. They have mentioned quality of life, whilst other doctors are still saying they don't know whats wrong so can say whats happening yet. Has anyone anything they can add that can help understand the current situation. I'm hoping the quality of life was just to say if he will be able to be independent and assess level of recovery rather than anything terminal. They could make things clearer rather than using such terms.

Sorry for war and peace Does anyone have any recommendations on what we should be asking the doctors as this is completely new territory for me.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I wish I knew what to suggest. First of all, I know some of what to ask for in the US. but I'm not sure where you are and you may not want to say. I know in our hospitals, there are advocates. That can help sometimes. Also, Doctors who have the name of "Hospitalist" may be able to shed some light on the situation.

Asking for copies of all his old records even if they are archived, and finding a neurologist to help make sense of them. Staying with 1 doctor can help. The last thing I wondered is could he possibly type words or write anything? He may have something very important to add. I am praying for you all. I wish you the best, God Bless~

• Posted

I had  similar problems when i asked  the questions  about myself  I asked lots of profesionals with the same result I then approached my stroke nurse and asked the questionS  Hate to say this but they dont really know themselves untill they  finish investigations. Even then it is dificult , I am 6 months post stroke and still dont have the answers  Its now a waiting game and one small step at a time for recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.