Old habits are so hard to break!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve suffered with agoraphobia since 2012.  I’ve tried various meds with minimal results and here I am again.   So far this has gotten me the farthest with getting out the door and going places/. The problem is getting out the door!  If this meds helps with anxiety then why do I still feel so much of it when I so badly want to go somewhere????  Once I get out I do ok but am still in my boundaries/. I feel if I could just passed this fear to get out I will be ok/. So what’s the use of feeling ok outside when the problem lies in getting outside?  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You didn’t mention what mg your taking or for how long? As far as anxiety goes I’ve been on 50mg for almost 8 weeks and it’s helping me a lot. I have GAD by the way.
    • Posted

I’m on 50 mgs and August 23rd will be one month. I see doctor August 13th to discuss results. 
    • Posted

You are still breaking into this drug. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks ,but it looks like you are getting some feedback on med. Your doctor might up your dose. I started on 50 for 4 months now on 100. Its a slow acting drug so be patient. I improved slowly. Right now I'm good, not great but I'll take it. I have mostly good days but bad days do slip in. This drug is good for most people but some cant take the side affects. This is not a cure all. But if you take it as prescribed faithfully than you should feel better. Alot of people swear by it, and I have to agree that it has helped me tremendously. Good luck, we are all cheering for you.

• Posted

Yeah Alf 2 weeks is way to early to be feeling much benefit at all on sertraline. It takes at least 6-8 weeks sometimes more to get the full effect. At two weeks I was still in full blown side effect mode and that was on 25mg! 
    • Posted

I sympathise Alf Alf. I have always had problems with going in shops and stuff and far happier staying at home.

When the panic attacks started and I was put on sertraline I could not leave the house. I couldn't go to the doctors even though it's on my road. I could go in the garden and I could drive but not get out of the car. Sounds mad.

I was off work for 8 months. When I reached 150mg I felt loads better.

I'm back at work. I'm not 100% ...but I can go in shops ...with a trolly... i dont want to increase because of the side effects. I think I need to sort stuff out in my life rather than increase.

Good luck..there is light at the end of your tunnel

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

I had been on 25 mgs for a few weeks and think I felt better then so assumed 50 would just be better.  Guess it’s going to take a long time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.