Old infection but same throat issues?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m really hoping that someone can help me out and help find a solution to this awful reoccurring problem. In april, 2017 i was diagnosed with mono (I am a 20 year old female).   i had lumps on my tonsils that we so severe they would turn purple and ooze puss and bleed.  i was always aware to steer clear of working out for protection of the liver and spleen which became a problem for me because i love working out, and i had gained weight. BUT my doctor had given me a blood test back in january 2018 and it showed i had an old infection. my throat has ALWAYS had these lumps, and they NEVER go away. yes, they are not always pussy and purple but they get this way and flare up sometimes, MAINLY AFTER I WORK OUT. it’s awful!! every time i go on a run (even though i have an old infection) my throat flares up and i get a miserable throat infection for weeks. it’s really putting a damper on my life and i want to work out and i can’t!! can someone please help me? the doctor says i should get my tonsils remove but i live on my own and have to work every day so i would prefer not to do that. he said i have tonsillitis but i believe it’s an underlying issue, maybe linked to mono? can someone please help me, i just want to live my healthy lifestyle again.

thank you, kaya 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaya,

So sorry to hear you've been going through such a rough time with your throat and tonsils after mono. This could very well be related to the mono virus still, I really hope things get better soon. I know the frustrations of wanting to exercise but not being able to, it's very hard to deal with, especially as a young person.

Just want to reassure that all the symptoms of mono do pass over in time - year 2 of this thing is a CAKEWALK compared to year 1. For the throat, might be worth trying a herb called oregano which I believe can be good for mouth and throat issues, also maybe trying a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water each day for a couple of weeks as that helps fight of viruses and infections too.

Hang in there and remember you are gonna get fully recovered and back to exercise again.

Craig

• Posted

Hi craig was it the oregano herb you used? Or the oil? Need to try something new? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Poppy,

It was oregano oil tablets that I used, sometimes tried to keep them in my mouth for a few mins before swallowing. I'm no expert on these things just something that I've used in the past and found beneficial - I know it has some anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties from what I've read. I found it helpful for me in the past, particularly with dental issues.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.