Old lady hot flashes and other problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello:  I'm going to just come right out and say it....I'm 67 yrs. old.  I had a complete hysterectomy in 2001.  I was on the Vivelle Patch for many years, until my insurance no longer paid for the patch, but made me get on a cheaper brand called estradoil....Every since the change from estrogens, I feel like I am on a never ending pregnancy bend.  I have hot flashes, cravings, sore boobs, bloated stomach, constant urge to pee, etc.  I am in total misery most of the time, and on top of that, I have fribrmylgia..does anyone know what I can do to feel better...I am supposed to be in my golden years, but so far, they are all brass.  Anyone else have this problem.  I think I would be fine if they would come out with a generic estrogen that would be just like Vivelle Dots.  Thank you for letting me vent...Hugs to all...

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am taking estrdiol and provera been on for two weeks have been peeing a lot the urologist says that i am retaining water not bad though 

I am against going on another drug because of stomach issues and blood pressure and heart rate because he ordered something for the retaining of the water. 

I'm just wondering if it just a side effect of the HRTs that i am on plus my blood pressure going up and down

• Posted

Thank you for our reply, susan...I am also retaining fluids and my stomach always looks like I'm pregnant....I don't need provera because I had a hysterectomy, but the estrogen alone can drive you crazy if you don't get your doses exactly right.  I don't want to take a diuretic becasue you can become addicted to them, and are not able to potty without them...I am so glad there is this forum to stick to..It is good to know I'm not alone, even though I'm old enough to be your grandmother, probably...lol...
    • Posted

I read that eating stuff with potassium can help with the retaining of the water and keeping you blood pressure down and i also heard that Vtamin b can help with water retenion and exercise will help and losing weight. I am down to 191 from a 216 

I just want to lose this belly because it still lokks like i am pregnant which i am not 

Try these things 

• Posted

I recently used the Premerin Cream for 5 months along with Progesteron with the wild yam..  I also am 67.  I gave up the premirin tabs a yr. ago June and woke up one morning a mth. later with the heart flutters, hot flashes and my body hurt all over, expecially all the joints.  That is when I went on the Premirin Cream.  No one wanted to diagnose me with Fibro.  I stropped the premirin and stayed with the Progesterone just to see what would happen, feeling better but stilll hurt all over.  This past week I got a shot of Steroids to help with pain.  It works, I can now walk without hurting, have no idea why it worked. At least I am functional which I had not been in a year, stayed home and gained weight instead.  I still use the Progesterone and have no inclination of giving it up no matter what anyone says.

How can this happen to us at our age?  I had a complete hystorectomy when I was 44 and took  premerin ever sense, of course everyone talked me out of it after so many years.  I should not have stopped.  I know women who take it forever. Suzanne Somers, who has had breast cancer takes hormones and says she will forever, she looks and lives great.

Don't you just love the insurance companies?  I have had things turned down that they used to cover.

Does my history sound like yours at all?

Kathy, so glad you put up this post.

• Posted

Yes, Kathy, sounds like mine a bit. The big scares about estrogen are based on good studies and science, imo, but the risks were quite small to begin with. So, if you double a tiny risk, it is still a tiny risk. However, people who feel they are prone to cancers or heart disease are understandably being more cautious these days about estrogens. I never stopped taking it (for 24 years now) but new doc talked me into bio-identical gel a year ago. Seems fine, can't tell diff from Premarin pills, but it makes the doc happy. : ) Just guessing, but it seems it is hard on the body to go on and off of things. Hope your steroids really do the trick for you -- good to be up n runnin'.  : )
    • Posted

Good on you Laurie for sticking to hrt, in particular the bio-identical one.  I would not use anything else.  26 years now since having a hysterectomy and ovaries removed.  First it was implant pellets, then they stopped being made, then patches and gels - all oestrodiol.  However, very annoyed with patches - my skin does not like the glue - so eventually found a compound chemist who makes the implant pellets.

It has been admitted by medical scientists that the research on hrt was flawed.  It was given to women who were already 10 years past menopause and they no longer had symptoms.  Drs still believe this myth of these outcomes.  A report recently in the news was that 4 times the number of women die from hear problems than breast cancer.  HRT helps prevent heart problems.

When my hrt was compromised by having a prolactinoma, severe menopause symptoms for 6 years which were ignored by dr because I was using oestrogen implants.  Finally another dr sent me to an endocrinologist who discovered the excess prolactin and microadenoma on my pituitary gland.  I was also having extreme arrythmia.  It was because the excess prolactin was making the oestrogen ineffective.  Medication for the condition relieved it completely.  Not going back there again.  For some women, menopause symptoms never goes away.

I also take Provera as I had endometriosis and oestrogen activates remaining endometriosis.

it is a good idea for women to have an Iron Panel test (not just serum iron)  as ferritin iron levels usually increase when mentruation stops, and if hormones do seem too whacky, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.  Drs don't think of the pituitary gland hormones.

• Posted

Thanks for the thumbs up, Sheryl. : ) You've had an interesting time of it and it's heartening to know you are doing better after the endrocrine panels and clearer diagnosis. I hadn't thought about the ages of the women in the study (are we both talking about the study of nurses, which was stopped when extra cases of breast cancer and heart attacks occurred?) Another flaw, imo, was their exclusive use of Prem-Pro, which had fixed doses and just one kind of progestin(erone.) Even so, it was a very large study and not a lot of variables. I'm glad some of us -- and not just me -- are coming out of the woodwork about staying on our HRT w good results. Thanks.
    • Posted

kathy46259, as you know Suzanne Somers story, you might also have heard of Dr Christiana Northrup.  Her book "The Wisdom of Menopause" became my go to book.  So much good medical information, not based on myths.  She has no problem with women using hrt forever. 
  • Posted

Hi Carole -- hey, I'm 67 too (not so bad, really?) 1st though fwiw is your symptoms remind me of how I felt on daily and/or sequential progestins/progesterones (they want us to call it the right thing but they all make me feel that way except Aygestin/norethindrone, call it what you will.) My understanding is that estradiol is so-called "bio-identical" as if the body doesn't distinguish it from one of the several types of estrogens we make naturally (or used to make.) You probably don't have to take progest... icins... b/c of hysterectomy, so maybe it's the figromyalgia making you feel bad? Just guessing. Others here will know more. What sort of estrogen is in your long lost Vivelle Dots?
  • Posted

just curious if OP and commenters have done an elimination diet:   avoiding gluten, sugar, soy and dairy for one month and see your results for pain/overall wellness??  then you slowly incorporate each back in to see what effect they might have on you.  i've lost weight, bloat and pain by cutting out breads, pasta and anything processed, sugars...  no fast food.  my joints feel better, my stomach is "flatter".   i still have fat and some loose skin, but no bloat! 

i'm taking supplements recommended for menopause and hypothyroidism:  magnesium, b complex, evening primrose, vitamin e, vit c, selenium, fish oil.   i do still struggle with hot flashes (just started) and only sweats at night (minimal) around period time, but have reduced palp's and anxiety.  

try eliminating these foods if you haven't already.  smile

• Posted

Glad you are getting such good results, Kristi.

yes, been on Blood Type (B) diet since age 50 (16 years ago.) i.e. reduce wheat flour unless it's sprouted first, no soy (for my blood type, supposed to be ok for the others.) Dairy's fine for blood type B, but we are only about a tenth of the world population. Better energy, no more bloat. People are different, diverse, but some of the diet things may help many imo.

• Posted

Thats what i will do too i will eliminate gluten, sugar, soy, you can drink rice milk non dairy milk thats good for you. 

I'm going to eat more salads and vegtables 

• Posted

i use rice milk in my protein shakes.  the only dairy i eat is an occasional lowfat cottage and hard cheese.   i had to learn all this the hard way.  i recently discovered i had an ulcer and HAD to give up spicy and bloating foods. it was a pleasant surprise to prove my pcp wrong that women who are menopausal and hypothyroid CAN lose weight with the right diet and supplements. 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions....It would probably be a great idea to cut those things out of my diet, however, I tried that for a week and nearly went crazy for some sugar...Ice cream is my weakness, but I only buy the no sugar added, Bryers....It's not as good as the creamy ice cream, but is satisfying...I took a Lyrica this morning, and I am completely pain free...Got in my car and went to Walmart and the bird seed store, feeling great...Too bad I can't take Lyrica every day because I would be on top of the world...It has too many side effects, one of which is your kidneys...I just take it when I can no longer stand the pain...I have Fibro, which may be the biggest part of the pain...
  • Posted

I use estradiol because it is bio-identical.  Most happy with implants which are not available where I live any more except via a compound chemist - going back to them after years of patches.  Make sure your oestradiol patches are MX (matrix), maybe called something different where you are (i.e. dots) and give the same dose as your Vivelle patch.  If if is not a matrix patch you will get hit with a dose of oestrogen in one go, and then no more till next patch.

It sounds like you re going through menopause as if the patch is not working for you at all, and you are being starved of oestrogen.  Ask for a blood test of all pituitary gland hormones.  Excess prolactin can cause your oestrogen to be ineffective.  Good to eliminate at the very least.  Been there myself - suffered severe menopause symptoms for 6 years - ignored by drs because I had pellet implants.  Then an entirely different dr referred me to an endocrinologist and a microadenoma on my pit gland was discovered causing excess prolactin.

If you had endometriosis, you will benefit from taking provera as oestrogen activates any remaining endometriosis in your body.  Personal experience too.

Ditto Kristi regarding eliminating sugars and starches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.