Old skateboarding accident coming back to haunt me....

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'll try to describe everything as best as possible. 23 years ago... I was 14 then, and I'm 37 now.... I took a nasty fall while I was doing a trick over a big set of stairs. The last time I attempted this trick I was going full speed, ollied over this set of steps, and landed on my board towards the back of the board. The board shot out from under my feet, and I landed right on my tailbone. I couldn't move my legs at all for a few minutes. My brother dragged me over to a bench that was secured to the sidewalk, and had me hold onto the bench while he pulled my legs. It felt like an accordion being pulled apart, while sounds like the first twist into a fresh icecube tray. Instantly, I was about to stand and walk home. It hurt do so, but I'm a tough one. Long story short.... I never went to the doctor, hospital, or even a chiropractor for it.

I started noticing problems here and there only a few years later while I was in highschool. I almost failed gym class because the lower portion of my spine was preventing me from being able to touch my toes...not like I could before either, but this time I was having trouble going to mid shin. I'm a tall guy, so that's not very far.

Anyway, it's now 20 years after highschool. The movement from the lower of my back to my hips has gotten extremely worse. I went to the chiropractor a few years back, and the lower few vertebrae were fused together. One the worst cases he has seen in his profession. Back then it was only my lower back, and since it has progressively advanced into my hips. My hips are feeling like rubbing rocks together half the time when I walk .. like the cartilage is fading, or has faded. I feel pressure in my lower back to my hips too along with the pain and stiffness. I'm 37 and I feel like I'm so so much older. I never went to the doctor for it, and I'm afraid it's way too late. The damage happened...the bones healed up together and now from my tail bone up to 3 to 4 vertebrae are solid as stone. It even gets hard to go to the bathroom sometimes... only bowel movements though.

Does anyone have an idea or an opinion on what I should do, and maybe some knowledge about what I'm looking forward to in a year or two? I'm thankful for whoever made it through this college sized essay about my issue with my back. Thank you for your time and patience.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.