Old wives tale

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone have any old wives tales / old remedies they would like to share.

Here is one to help keep cool.

Let the cold tap run on your wrists for up to two minutes then pat dry. Don't rub as you will be warming up the wrists.

Better if you let them drip dry.

or

Put some cold water in the sink and rest the inside of your wrists rest on the surface, again let them drip dry or pat dry.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh that's a good one.. But actually warm water will cool u off sooner..

how bout putting butter on a burn..ouch just what a burn needs more Greece.. YIKES.

OR my grams fav cure of all really woks but not socially acceptable today.

in her day for cough and sor throat before the days of OTC meds she made a concoction with warm tea.. mixed with honey , lemon and a touch of Wisky to numb the throat.

dont try that today u could be charged with child abuse. How things change.it really worked though enough to get to sleep.

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

I heard cold milk helps a burn.

pour cold milk on a cloth, wring it out and place on the burn.

but only suitable on a burn that hasn't blistered or broken the skin.

you would make a few friends of the feline variety.

But when I was a kid, every Sunday evening after a bath, we always had a large spoon of caster oil. Mind you, when we had the caster oil we never had any sore throats/colds or sniffles.

Now if I have any signs of a cough of cold then I get a bottle of Pavacol D from the chemist as it is the only one suitable and recommend for diabetes.

• Posted

Mind you the Whiskey sounds good, buy my medication would not like it.
    • Posted

So true.. As my Grammy grew up in the day before pharmacies ruled.

• Posted

Mind you, who needed a pharmacy when you have whiskey...

it is that I can't drink, my medication is fine, but I have recently started a new medication for which I am not sure about. I have tried looking up as much as I can and had no luck.

may be you can solve this puzzle? The leaflet says nothing about avoiding alcohol, but the packaging gives a warning "may cause drowsiness and to avoid machinery and driving. Now I have got used to them but I have not had a drink with them.

Would like to know your thoughts, if you don't mind.

• Posted

My grams recipe was a cup of hot tea 3 tsp. Lemon..2 tsp. Honey .

1 tsp alcohol....it was to numb the pain alcohol of throat causing cough, coat the sore throat honey prevent coughing and lemon to cut thru the build up of congestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.