Older lady - Constant feeling of UTI estriol cream not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

would like to try replen cream have constant feeling of UTI no infection although antibiotics do help don't want antibiotics either. 

Am doing pelvic floor and exercises nothing really helps would like to stay away from estriol cream.  

Can anyone help me am older lady 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Only thing that helped me was mona lisa treatment, tried all the creams.... good luck, its an awful issue
  • Posted

Olive, I have been going through this hell for over three years, possibly more as when I finally took myself off of morphine (I was on that for something else), I noticed a constant burning. After countless and I mean countless doctor visits, I was told I had ureteral atrophy or atrophic vaginitis. I did the antibiotics, Premarin cream, paid thousands for lab tests to check hormone levels. The doctor wanted me on Premarin pills, estradial patch and testosterone. It had been over 15 years since my last period and I have circulation issues in my legs from sitting too much for my job.  I use a cream now and it doesn’t work. Actually I went to the doctor again today and he told me I need to use a lot more and use more frequently. I have a feeling we are talking about some major money here. The only thing I have heard about is the Mona Lisa treatment. I guess it’s around $3000 for the treatments and of course not covered by Medicare. It’s all horrible and the only thing I can do is fight for the occasional Vicodin which does work or use this lidocaine gel which really burns but eventually seems to work enough to allow me to sleep without me having to use my hand to push up on my crotch, which also works but not in public. It’s all a tragedy. My heart goes out to you. By the way I’m 63. 
  • Posted

Hi Olive

i am 66 and have Atrophic Vaginitis.  Please ask your doctor for Vagifem.  My GYN started me on 14 days of Estrace cream then Vagifem taken vaginally 2x week after the cream.   It will take you a few weeks for the UTI feel to go away but for most of us it does.  This helps us to feel normal again!  It takes time for your vagina to heal. This is lifelong so we will have to forever use Vagifem.  If you stop using it you will feel the discomfort again.  If your insurance does not cover Vagifem there is a generic called .Yuvafem .  I hope this helps.....there is hope to feel normal again.  Some ladies may need more than 2x week for Vagifem.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Olive, been going through same , past 6 weeks was told to use Replens, started every other day sometimes every 3 days, and told to use summer s Eve wash, and if irritated useing a yeast/ steroid cream to avoid estrogen,. Have gone for checkup and exam was much better. Hoping continue healing , still some uncomfortable ness .Dr last visit mentioned Mona Lisa or premarin, this time said no need, so this is worth a shot. I do find the Replens stinging some so Idk, but have heard everything does! This is a horrible way to go on I know, hopefully this will end
    • Posted

It's just awful isn't it and I have the added problem of our son has been back home living with us because he took very most disabling and progressive form of MS he is blind due to MS too so have enough without this too. 

My doctor gave me estriol cream and  likes you am not keen on anything to do with HRT I will try what you are doing.

I also feel I need the toilet five times every night and sometimes it feels like UTI with cloudy urine next time it's ok but burning still there although funnily enough today doesn't feel so bad *yet* last night was my day for using estriol. I think about it every time I use estriol my doctor says it is perfectly safe and doesn't expect any problems - that'll be right - would rather not take it.  

Are you UK I am in Scotland - let's you see though we are not the only ones with this. 

• Posted

The bathroom trips are less I noticed , and time will tell of progress from Replens, this will be a forever nuisance keeping comfortable, and hard for our families to understand at times. For now I'm following this way ,with hopes .

• Posted

Sorry your son too isn't well either , we have MS on my husband's side a nephew with it

• Posted

Today I spoke to my GP and told him I wasn't happy using the estriol cream in view of our constant worries with our son and needing to be here for him. He said the topical estriol cream doesn't carry health risks because of the very small amounts circulating and would be very surprised, if he did a test, to find any. I have to admit it is feeling slightly better but has taken weeks to get to this point. He seemed to dismiss cloudy urine and sulphur smell,  at times worse than others 

i will use it once a week to see if I can survive but if it feels like before will have to do something else. 

I said I had heard it thinned hair but he dismissed that as not correct he had never heard that. I said well my hair is definitely not right it feels thinner and dryer he said probably with sitting in the sun.

will see how it goes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.