Older man new to group

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone!  Great to find at least one group that is composed of actual Gilbert's patients.  I just thought I'd post a short note with my symptoms and story.

I'm 63 and retired.  I am a few pounds overweight (according to my BMI),.  I eat very correctly and exercise daily. All in all I am considered to be in great shape for my age.  However,   I have complained for several years about a variety of problems to my doctor.  Cold hands and feet, cronic fatigue, sore muscles (mainly back).  I would either get a test which would come back normal, or be told to "suck it up", it is just part of getting old.

This year I bitched to my doctor, listed the symptoms as a group.  He did a bunch of blood tests, then told me I had Gilbert's, it was not serious, and I could go home and look it up.

It quickly seemed obvious that since there is no money in it, and no "cure", noone has really looked at this issue closely,  It does not seem that anyone has ever done a study of sufferers.  That is why finding a group like this is important.

While I can't do anything overt about the problem, I can at least stop blaming myself if I am fatigued or sore, or my hands and feet are freezing in our Canadian winters.  This helps give me some piece of mind.  And despite the symptoms I am doing as well as I can. The rest I "suck up".

I am experimenting with a variety of over-the-counter items.  I have found that a daily suppliment of magnesium helps with my energy levels and I recommend that.  I am experimenting with iron, as I eat mainly vegitarian and doubt I get enough in my diet.

Please keep posting your experiences to the group, particularly if you find anything that seems to mitigate the symptoms.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I had CFS, and Gilbert's for over 10 years. Just discovered that I have low stomach acid and cannot digest protein. This condition is called  "hypochlorhydria" and has all kinds of negative side effects, including putting a lot of stress on the liver. This condition gets worse as one ages. Started taking Betaine HCL, Ox Bile, and Beta TCP a month ago. For the first time in 10 years seems like I have more energy and endurance. Next month going for my annual check-up, curious if the blood test will look better. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Hi Sheila:

Did you "have"  CFS, or do you still have it?

I am taking an HCL, though not Betaine, and have just started to take a product with ox bile in it.  Beta TCP I am not familiar with.

I have read that stomach acid decreases with age.  Beyond that I am not familiar.  Yet....

Although I take a fair number of additives I am not on any prescribed ones.  It is a bit of a crap shoot as to which, if any help, since I have not approached this scientifically.  But I do have a strong suspicion that  am short of mag, zinc, d, and iron. 

• Posted

Mike, I still have CFS, only the last month, from the time I started these supplements, I was feeling a bit better.

Look up on the internet hypochlorhydria, there is a lot of info out there. Read that HCL should be taken w. Betaine, and there are many supplements out there that combine these two ingredients. Beta TCP has pancreatic enzymes as the main ingredient. Taking Zinc, Magnezium, Vit D, etc. is great, I am taking them also but prefer concentrating on fixing the problem, aka my digestion, so that my body starts making these things on its own. I have been B 12, and Vit D defficient for years, both conditions most likely caused by hypochlorhydria. B12 defficiency resulting from not being able to digest protein, Vit D deficciency, the result of increased strain on the liver - this organ being responsible for most of the conversion of Vit D.

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  I too am taking an enzime product (just started) aand I have some hopes that it will improve my digestion.  Time will tell
  • Posted

I would certainly agree that stress on the liver can raise the bilirubin level.

In my case I discovered that spices and herbs are broken down by the liver and thus I now eat no spices or herbs.  

My bilirbin level was over 100 and is now at the 25 to 27 range; still over the 'normal' of 17 but massively improved.

It took about 4 to 6 weeks of my spice free diet to bring the levels back down and I would suggest that you try this.  

Nothing to loose by altering the diet and lifestyle and it is cheaper than doctors and pills.!!

• Posted

That is very interesting.  Thanks for passing that on.  As it is, I don't consume much spice other than salt and pepper, however, as I recently consumed some spiced meat and am currently experiencing a great deal of gastric distress, I suspect you are really on to something.

• Posted

Hi Mike! I am 73 and got the Gilbert diagnostic 20 years ago. In my case wat made the real difference is the aminoacid L-Taurine. I am taking 500mg 3 times the day at meal time. I also take magnesium but for other reasons. But, in my case, Taurine did the trick and changed my life. I repeat, I am on Taurine now and will take it for life. Give it a try, it may work also for you. Kind regards and all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.