Older woman on HRT please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

First apologies for the length of this post.  Bare with me, but I really need help.  Ladies, I've really tried everything and am at the end of my rope.  So hoping some one out there might have a similiar story. I'm 60, and want to stop vaginal atrophy and have a somewhat normal sex life.  

I tried BCPs in my early 20s, and in perimenopause in early 40s.  Both times a total disaster.  I tired bioidentical estrogen/progesterone in perimenopause, it was even a worse disaster.  Got to menopause without anything.  Felt ok, no hot flashes, or huge problems.  But three years in, started painful sex, vaginal atrophy and dryness.  I was given vaginal Estrace.  By regular use, I felt great, better than I had in years.  More energy, and sleeping like a champ.  The only down side, horrible itching on scalp and my hair started falling out.  Only thing that helped was some progesterone cream.  Since that time, I have worked with some of the best "professionals" out there.  I've tried creams, pills, vaginal suppositores, patches etc.  Various combinations.  I started low and wernt slow.  For a year worked with a known professional, who charged $3,500 up front cash and guartanteed she could make this work.  NOPE, I felt absolutely crappy on estrogen patches, and the only time I felt half way normal was when I also had progesterone with it.  Finally gave up on her promises and left her practice.

So here it is, these hormones change how I look, my skin, hair and nails, my brain, how I sleep, YOU NAME IT!  But what I hate is that it's usually a bad thing.  Bad hair, bad nails, bad skin, bad feelings, bloating, weird sensations, feeling of fat growing on my legs and butt, etc.  Sometimes I think I am jinxed.  

Are there any other older women out there who have had bad reactions to HRT?  If so, can you please share your experience? Did you find anything that worked?  Or did you give up?  Anyone just back to no hormone therapy?   If so, how do you feel now?  Am I alone on this?   

I actually want to do hormone therapy.  I've personally bought into the theory that in the long run this will make us healthier and offset/avoid some of the effects of aging.  I've studied at nausium, paid dearly for (non) help, and done everything as suggested.  So what gives?   ANY ONE ELSE?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

gailannie. post this to Hormone Therapy discussion forum also.  There is a lady on there in her 60's I think,  called Matron, (if I remember rightly) who has good advice on HRT.

• Posted

Thanks, I didn't even know there was a HRT discussion board.  I'll check it out. 

• Posted

I'm 53 Gailannie, so I don't 'qualify ' to answer really, but I just thought I'd say that when I started magnesium and stuck to it, a couple of months later I noticed my nails were really strong and grew easily, my hair also started sprouting again ....

also I would hope you had your thyroid checked in amongst all those tests? Including you iodine levels? I also can't tolerate HRT. Have you tried acupuncture with their herbs as well? Phytoestrogens? Have you googled natural vaginal creams/pessaries....there are some good ones out there but it's my understanding that they can make sex more comfortable but won't necessarily change the atrophy?

• Posted

Thanks, have had my thyroid checked up one side and down the other.  No problem there.  I can try magnesium, but already take a very good multi vitamin.  

Thanks for your thoughts and support.  Crazy that's I've got suck good understanding of hormones with all the years of research, yet can't get something to work well for me.  Very frustrating.    

• Posted

This breaks my heart, Gailannie. There are practicing endocrinologists that know less about hormones than you! 

I am very grateful that you are otherwise quite healthy. But what you are going through sounds so frustrating.  

Take this with a grain of salt, since I worship at the church of the probiotic. But I did some googling and found an article that said a study in 2011 showed  that "...lowered oestrogen is simply causing a reduction in probiotic bacteria in the vagina, which then in turn leads to vaginal dryness, atrophy and the potential for vaginal infections. It is thought that probiotic bacteria modulate the immune system and interfere with the inflammatory cascade...

Please PM me if you want the link. You have always been so helpful! I am thinking of you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the support and kind words.  Seems that everything I get into to....I do it in a big way!  I've even gone to 4 day medical conferences on this.  

Interesting I do take a probiotic, orally.  And yes, I'd love to read your source.  

Sure wish I could find what works well for me.  And quite frankly, somewhat jealous of those women who do get the combination just right.  Wish I could be in their shoes right now.  

• Posted

hi. I have found a treatment for vaginal atrophy but can't get anyone interested in making it. So frustrating. It saved me as I didn't want to take HRT

• Posted

Wow you have done well, i'm 54 & started HRT 1 year ago & so pleased with it, I will stay on it as long as possible!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.