Older Women using HRT please HELP

Posted , 6 users are following.

First apologies for the length of this post.  Bare with me, but I really need help.  Ladies, I've really tried everything and am at the end of my rope.  So hoping some one out there might have a similiar story. I'm 60, and want to stop vaginal atrophy and have a somewhat normal sex life.  

I tried BCPs in my early 20s, and in perimenopause in early 40s.  Both times a total disaster.  I tired bioidentical estrogen/progesterone in perimenopause, it was even a worse disaster.  Got to menopause without anything.  Felt ok, no hot flashes, or huge problems.  But three years in, started painful sex, vaginal atrophy and dryness.  I was given vaginal Estrace.  By regular use, I felt great, better than I had in years.  More energy, and sleeping like a champ.  The only down side, horrible itching on scalp and my hair started falling out.  Only thing that helped was some progesterone cream.  Since that time, I have worked with some of the best "professionals" out there.  I've tried creams, pills, vaginal suppositores, patches etc.  Various combinations.  I started low and wernt slow.  For a year worked with a known professional, who charged $3,500 up front cash and guartanteed she could make this work.  NOPE, I felt absolutely crappy on estrogen patches, and the only time I felt half way normal was when I also had progesterone with it.  Finally gave up on her promises and left her practice.

So here it is, these hormones change how I look, my skin, hair and nails, my brain, how I sleep, YOU NAME IT!  But what I hate is that it's usually a bad thing.  Bad hair, bad nails, bad skin, bad feelings, bloating, weird sensations, feeling of fat growing on my legs and butt, etc.  Sometimes I think I am jinxed.  

Are there any other older women out there who have had bad reactions to HRT?  If so, can you please share your experience? Did you find anything that worked?  Or did you give up?  Anyone just back to no hormone therapy?   If so, how do you feel now?  Am I alone on this?   

I actually want to do hormone therapy.  I've personally bought into the theory that in the long run this will make us healthier and offset/avoid some of the effects of aging.  I've studied at nausium, paid dearly for (non) help, and done everything as suggested.  So what gives?   ANY ONE ELSE?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi , i live in central Scotland, i am 62 i was on hrt from 39 when i had a hysterectomy till i was 55 then the doc stopped it, i have put up with thw hot flushes , night sweats , no sex, urine infections to name but a few, i felt great on hrt and have tried numerous times at my gp to get it but they refuse, i have been told all the risks and have read about them but for me the benefits outway the risks,it should be my choice to take it or not, it would improve my life 100%
    • Posted

So these symptoms are still occurring 7 years later!  For some, they don't go away.  I sympathise because I am very oestrogen needy too.  If every dr refuses, trying investigating pregnenolone.  You will need to look it up to find out about it.  Probably only available via a compound chemist (with a dr's script) and more expensive.  But maybe worth it to you.

Also, go armed with up to date information about hrt and don't let them quote flawed research to you.  Insist that they update their knowledge.

• Posted

thanks for that if i have no joy i will read about Pregnenolone and will try that if i can get it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.