Olp

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi.... am suffering from olp from last one & half year ... tried steroids for 8 months but gave me major side effects ... now on homeopathy but no result. can anyobe suggest me something for this cruel disease

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes i have been on predniselone for 3 months---I agree major effects on my guts and brain--anxiety when coming off them

Betamethazone another steroid mouthwash--very strong and did affect my stomach without doing a lot.

Have just heard from someone else that dexomethazone is possibility--Will try that.

The main thing that drives me crazy is that I cannot go out for a nice meal as cannot taste a lot of the food--metallic taste

Best I can Do !!!

Hope You sort it

• Posted

What about trying Calendula Tincture as a mouthwash?

Calendula Tincture has been shown to be helpful with many forms of inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) and also has a nice anti-microbial profile. The Calendula Flower also has a long-standing reputation as the "great repair plant" of the mucosa. Google up "Calendula and Gingivitis" for more info, if you wish.

A tincture contains alcohol, so you will likely want to dilute the product with some clean water to reduce any risk of the alcohol being too aggressive in your mouth, especially if in pain.

This would also require patience and zeal with the treatment... don't expect any overnight effect, eventhough some likely relief might be encouraging initially.

Please share your results if you elect to try it out!

Greg.

• Posted

my doctor prescribed triamcinolone dental paste. It seems to help in conjunction with the other meds. it is an odd feeling stuff and you only want put it one direction or it gunks up, but worth the try.

• Posted

Oral steroids cause side-effects but if you use betamethasone 0.5 - 1 mg twice a day as mouthwash, keeping it in preferably for 10 minutes but then spitting it it out thoroughly, there should be no side-effects other than a risk of thrush, which can be treated with daktarin gel. I also find green tea tablets, which I get from Holland & Barrett very effective. Propping one up against an ulcer seems to greatly speed healing, although they get a bit messy as they disintegrate. I actually also take a few orally every day, and also chew a couple along with my mouthwash. There is some science behind their use.

• Posted

Thanks for that-- have tried betamethazone and doing exactly as you said-- however after 10 minutes and spitting it out you can't help swallowing just a bit of what is left in your mouth-- --I have Ulcerative colitis as well-- under control -- but it was affecting my stomach and making me very anxious-- am a bit that way in any case -- have been told dexamthazone may help!!!

Also steroid lozenges- dodn't know there were some

cheers

• Posted

Hi. I've used dexamethasone liquid in the same dose when I could not obtain the betamethasone. I asked it because the drugs are very similar in terms of how long they stick around. It seemed to work about the same.

I wouldn't bother with the lozenges if they contain hydrocortisone. The first attempt at a steroid asthma inhaler used hydrocortisone and they said they might as well have injected it intravenously. There's been a lot of research in asthma developing steroids that stay in situ and / or break down quickly if absorbed in the body. Unfortunately OLP is a nearly zero research area.

Cells have a receptor for steroids on the surface which binds to corticosteroids and then transports them to their site of action in the nucleus. How long the steroids stay there varies between the different compounds, but it's probably similar and more than a day for both betamethasone and dexamethasone. It's much shorter for hydrocortisone and probably longer for some asthma drugs. I don't exactly know how long the transport process takes, but if I keep the mouthwash in for 10-15 mins I am happy to rinse my mouth with water in the expectation that the stuff has already got to where it's needed.

• Posted

Thanks for that-- maybe should try again with betamethazone and rinse mouth out afterwards-- mmmm very interesting

You have trouble with metallic taste??

Drives me mad-- most of life is spent eating!!!

Cheers

• Posted

My OLP is about 95% controlled now but - yes - often the first sign of an ulcer developing on the cheek was a metallic taste where it was about to develop. It sometimes causes gum ulcers and I can have a proper relapse after a viral sore throat, but the betnesol + green tea combo seems pretty effective.

• Posted

i have been diagnosed with olp and really struggling. i am on betamethasone mouthwash 2 weeks on two weeks off but the time im off then im in agony. i only have it on my gums not in my mouth. any help greatly appreciated thanks

• Posted

I am in no way "promoting" a product here, just saying that i have also found that most "regular toothpaste" seems to irritate me. I found this one from Hello made with tea tree oil and coconut oil that seems less irritating. I tried attaching a photo, but it says file is too big. sorry.

• Posted

I am in no way "promoting" a product here, just saying that i have also found that most "regular toothpaste" seems to irritate me. I found this one from Hello made with tea tree oil and coconut oil that seems less irritating. I tried attaching a photo, but it says file is too big. sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.