OLP Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, sorry to hear all your woes about this awful condition. I was diagnosed in March this year after having constant ulcers and sore mouth for weeks. The doctor gave me steroids to use as mouth wash and a painkilling mouthwash which seems to be the norm. I've done al ot of reading about it and somewhere I read that it can be related to a mental health and depression.

I've never suffered from mental health problems or depression but looking back I had been having a difficult time, bullied at work and eventually losing my job and struggling to find another. I also read that extract of turmeric can help so I thought I would give it a whirl. For the past three weeks I have been taking 4000 mg per day in tablet form and have noticed a hughe improvement, I haven't needed to use the numbing mouthwash for two weeks now and I've stopped using the steroids. It hasn't gone away but it's much less of a problem than it was. I've also found a great new job and am generally feeling happier. I don't know which of these has made the difference ( if any) but I thought I would share this with you all as I would definately give the turmeric a go. Good luck!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

100% agree with the turmeric. I've mixed it with water and gargled with it. It keeps the pain away!

• Posted

Great news that your doing so much better! I never felt mine was due to depression either, although I had one doctor try to blame it on that and gave me anti depressents. Which I never took. Yes, I have tried tumeric, but in the tablet form. It didn't do me much good. The only thing that works on the mouth lesions is the prescription for Cellcept. The side effects are awful, (weight gain, thinning hair), but at least I can eat!

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you have found some relief even if it does come with unpleasant side effects. From what I've read on here and elsewhere there seems to be different severities of this strange condition and I think I have a relatively mild one, it's never stpopped me from eating but is more uncomfortable and irritating than painful and is sensitive to spicy food, I suppose I'm luckier than some. I have been told that it can just go away on it's own and I'm hoping that's what will happen for me and all other sufferers. It's good to have the support of this site though. 

• Posted

I've been taking turmeric for about 6 months, in a 'paste' with coconut/olive oil and black pepper which aids it's absorption, there's been lots of recent research in the UK about its success as an anti inflammatory. I have found it very effective, much better than all the steroids I've taken over the last 20 years! Give it a go, but persevere, I take 1tsp twice daily mixed with a 'shot' of milk. There's recipes on the Internet and suppliers in UK. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.