OLP patient

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

I was diagnosed with OLP a year ago,at first my cheeks felt rough to the touch with my gums,slowly went away and for the longest time felt find.

For the last two months I got the white patches ( no pain ) and can't get rid of them even using betaderm as prescribe.

Don't know if winter and little Sun (live in Canada) has anything to do with it.

Like many other suffers from this condition it's very difficult to understand why I got this and the fact there's no cure for it.

Thank you.

m

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am so sorry.  You are new to this disease and it won,t go away.  Definitely an Auto Immune disease, and no one knows why it sudden ly appears.  I am told stress contributes to the mouth sores and other symtoms, but in this day and age, how can we live without stress!  

Carry on doing  what you have been told to do, and using medication that may help. Sadly, no one really wants to know, and family and friends are sympathetic, but don,t understand what you are going through.  

I have had OLP for 6 years now, and am 74 years of age.  I keep busy and try and remain positive, and now and then I have periods of a calm mouth, but am told it is there smouldering ready to erupt!   

Keep busy, and keep in touch with us all.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply really appreciate.

Since not much information is out regarding this condition it is hard to know exactly what to eat and drink to control it.

Many people think is related to candida yiest so I try to avoid all sugars,pasta and bread (my favourite ) especially with cheese,

also alcohol.

So by doing that I lost 10lb., hopefully that will control the OLP also.

Once again thank you.

Merry Christmas.

• Posted

About 8 yrs ago, I was diagnosed with OLP. It consistently worsened, with no apparent cause. I had 2 biopsies to rule out cancer. Changed diet, tooth paste - everything. I used oral steroid gels to control it when needed - nothing seemed to stop it. I constantly searched websites and one day, found an obscure study touching on OLP and medications. In short - I was taking a medication to control high blood pressure - in the U.S.A. it is called "hydrochlorothiazide" - a diuretic. Based on the study I found, I asked my physician to replace that medication and within 2 months, my OLP virtually disappeared. I have been symptom free for over 1 year. You may want to look at medications and research the internet for drug related auto immune disorders. It may not be the cause of your disorder, but it worked for me. It took years, but it was well worthwhile. My dentist shares this story with all of his OLP patients in hopes that it will help even a few. Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Manuel, I have tried to reply twice to you with some info on how I manage my OLP, very successfully I might add! but both times I have mentioned a product which is obviously deemed a "No No"  by the moderators, I cannot imagine why, as these products can be bought over the counter without a prescription! and I can only assume the moderator doesn't suffer from Oral lichen planus!.. and so you may send me a private message if you would like to.

I have Lichen Schlerosus too, and I have to say that Oral Lichen Planus at its worst is far far  worst!! which is why I try to help people with this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.