OLP prescriptions ? What do you use? What seems to work what doesn't

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been prescribed another steriod gel that says don't use in your mouth?    

I was first prescribed Fluocinoncide gel. Didn'rt change anything and

Made me have stomach upset now another gel was prescribed Desoximetasone gel. My dermatologist was supposed to prescribe a paste or a mouthwash but when I picked it up just another gel that says don't use in mouth, ugh. It also says to test on my forearm for three days before using in my mouth,

Personally I am frustrated. It seems even she does not have a clue how to treat. 

I thought it would be good to have one place where we can put what we have used and the results. And any side effects

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna

Its so painfull olp isnt it . I have had stetoid mouthwash from my doctor for what good it did. I am now using Difflam mouthwash and its quite a good help. I rinse it around my mouth for a about 60 to 90 seconds BEFORE i clean my teeth and i ts a lot more bearable as the difflam numbs inside of cheeks and tongue . Thats all i have to offer Donna . Give it a go if you havnt already you have nothing to lose. Good luck

• Posted

do you know if the Difflam has lidocaine? I'm allergic  

yeah the steroids are not helpful for me

Thanks for your input

• Posted

My dermatologist has prescribed several different gels.

Clobetasol Ointment

Tacrolimus Ointment

Betamethasone Dipropionate Gel

Yes, all of them say not to put them in your mouth. Guess that warning just doesn't apply to us!!!

None of them work very well, I do much better on a systemic medicine like,

Mycophenolate Tabs (which has bad side effects as in weight gain and hair loss)

I just started on Plaquenil Tabs - we'll have to wait and see if works on me. I sure hope so. Yes, OLP is one of the worst auto immunine diseases that's for sure.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi

I found gels useless. I use betnesol mouthwash. I now just crush the tablets rather than pre-disolving them (I take 2 x 0.5 mg twice daily) I hold it in for 10 mins and spit out thoroughly. There are cell surface receptors that should grab on to it and take it down to the nucleus, so maybe that's why it seems to work even if I spit out thoroughly. For individual ulcers I find keeping a H&B green tea tablet up against them till it starts disintegrating helps a lot. Used twice a day for a couple of days it sorts ulcers that I would in the past have expected to last a month or so. I started this (also taking them by mouth) after reading a medical hypothesis paper that suggested green tea on the basis of either inhibiting the enzymes involved in breaking down the tissues, or inhibiting the immune T-cell activation.

• Posted

Never have tried betnesol tablets. I'll have to ask for those in the future if the Plaquenil doesn't work. Also never heard of the green tea tablets. Where do you get those? I'd be interested in trying them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.