OLP resolved

Posted , 10 users are following.

I made an incredibly detailed post yesterday about my experience with Oral Lichen Planus, unfortunately it seems like the mods either didn't approve it, or the post didn't go through.

My OLP was confirmed via biopsy in 2017.

After this diagnosis, I resolved to find ways to rid me of OLP. I tried almost everything, including turmeric, coconut oil, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Finally, I came across scientific articles which implicated amalgam fillings in the formation of OLP in some people. So I took my chances and had all 4-5 of my fillings replaced with composite resin. Keep in mind, I saw 1 dentist and 2 oral surgeons, and neither of these people told me about this link between Oral lichen planus and amalgam fillings. Absolutely useless.

My OLP lesions (which were quite bad and erosive) started to resolve in 2 weeks. Within 2 months, my mouth was completely healed and there was no sign of it anymore. The OLP was cured and I haven't had it ever since.

I was actually on this discussion board after my diagnosis, but never updated my condition. I just wanted to share my experience, in case it helps someone else.

BTW, I'm male 30. So quite different from the typical demographic for this disease. If you're similar to me, really try replacing amalgam fillings with composite resin ones. And make sure they are very careful to not expose you to too much mercury during the process.

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mmmmm very interesting---have actually heard of this before---did you have OLP under your tongue affecting your taste very badly?--This is the part of the disease that drags me down---oh and heyho am the worst possible patient at the dentist---isn't life wonderful!!!

cheers

• Posted

actually when they first biopsied me, I only had white streaks in my buccal mucosa. But 2 months later, i started getting incredibly bad erosive lesions under my tongue. They would peel constantly and made life unbearable. I think the stress of finding out i had olp made things worse.

• Posted

I think that's how it just progresses, anonomoose. I think, one day, when this issue is more widespread they will discover it's a virus. In the meantime, just learning what works for you, what helps; what doesn't is all we can do. Learning to live with it.

I'm going to do a seperate post, just out of interest to see if any others have got tonsil stones in their parotid glands. I discovered I had these about a 6 months ago. There might be a connection.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for telling your story.

Exactly the same story for my sister. She had OLP for 3 years.

She had her 5 fillings replaced with porcelain and within 2 weeks

her OLP had cleared up.

That was 6 or 8 years ago too! I think all sufferers with OLP

should give it a try. At least it can't do any harm.

Anne

• Posted

HI I was hoping for the same results after I had my 2 silver fillings taken out and replaced with white but its been 2 years and I still have full blown OLP! Unfortunately I also have 5 root canals that I personally feel like are a contributing factor! Due to the high cost to remove them I will be keeping them and just living with it! I get so angry when I think about how they told me that root canals are great they solve the problem for life and now this! I have had OLP for 8 yrs and probably will have it for life now! Sorry for sounding disgusted but I am! But I am extremely happy for those of you who have found your solution!!!

• Posted

i mentioned the removal of my amalgam fillings and they said amalgam fillings are great....leading me to believe that i should not remove them....

• Posted

hi julia, im not very informed about root canals. Do they also involve amalgam?

• Posted

That is so weird. I went to have the same. Dentist did fitting the crown without any anaesthetic and I cannot tell you the how horendous the pain was. Hand went up several times but she kept saying - only another minute. I was in shock by the time I left. 3 days later my mouth was white...a week later I thought I had oral thrush....tried treatments & made it worse. After 4 weeks went back to dentist (I know, must be mad) and she said Oh, it looks like you've got OLP. Eventually had a biop. Yes. OLP. I didn't know if it was the severe pain & shock had caused it. Or the materials used in the toothwork. But it definitely was one, the other or a combo of both.

I think someone else on here was saying they also developed OLP after having a crown fitted/dental work.

• Posted

As you can only have them replaced privately (Approx £40 for white composits) the choice is yours.

• Posted

Hi Cookie27, most general dentist will say there is nothing wrong with them. Mine were removed by a holistic dentist. The dentist and hygienist were completely suited up including masks as I was also. They used air, water and ozone continuously. Before the procedure the hygienist wiped my silver fillings with a dry piece of gauze and showed me all the silver that cones off every time I chew food! Pretty yucky!

• Posted

I think this condition is very individualized as so many people get relief from different treatments. My personal treatment is for oral Lp with DEXAMETHOSONE. It seems to me to be like an autoimmune condition like MS and other similar conditions. I have a few connections with MS, some disabilities are severe, some appear mild for seveal years. Degrees of the condition seem to jump from severe with no relief to some who are able to still work with few symptoms. I hope we get an answer , but to me it is just to find some relief from our symptoms and hopefully find a doctor who is aware of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.