Omeprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just wondering how long it usually takes for omeprazole to take effect. I have only taken them 3 days so wasn't expecting a big change yet but hoping isn't to long thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole didn't work for me at all,I've recently changed to esomeprazole - a slightly newer version, and that has defo helped. My tongue before was constantly coated and burned feeling, a few days on esomeprazole and my tongue is almost like normal!
  • Posted

Hello Lynsey, a week to two can show results, with some people claiming a bit earlier. It could also depend on how sore or damaged your tissues are, for naturally their healing in time could ease some of the pain or discomfort you feel.
    • Posted

Hi Paul,

I been on Pantoprazole for 16 days and nothing.  Sure, I do not have the normal symptoms of gastritis or reflux.  I have chest heaviness all day long an it gets worse during the day and I do have mild acid on the bacK of my throat.  In the past I took Omeprazole 40mg twice daily with Raniditine 300mg at night and after 30 days I had to stop because it did nothing for me.  I just just changed my GI looking for another opinion and she order a Barium Swallow (Esophagram) because when I eat is when it gets really bad and I have problem breathing by just taking the first bite. (Even with water at a lower scale)   Both GI's agree that with mild gastisits/reflux I should not have this problem so hopefuly a few days after Friday I would have an answer for my problem which I had for 2 years.  I believe medications and the anti-biotics I took back then for 3 weeks started all of this. ;-(

• Posted

Hi Papote, yes, hopefully you're closer to a full diagnosis.

It was simple painkillers and three courses of antibs for a problematic wisdom tooth over three months that condemned me to my trouble too. Three abscesses had to be sorted before the dentist, who was trying to save the tooth, could take it out. That was on my birthday. Two days later I realised by stomach was swollen and then the acid hell and the rest began. Couldn't believe it. That was in late 2012.

Of course had I known at that time how certain foods, drinks, minty things and stress affect the lower oesophageal muscle and damaged tissues, I wouldn't have added their negative effects to that of the meds. We live and learn too often the hard way. Prevention is always better than cure, foresight better than hindsight.

We can walk into disaster simply because, for example, we don't really know how our stomachs and digestion work. Then, when you become ill and learn about them, you see how some of the things you did helped set you up for trouble, which is always hard to bear. But such is life sometimes. And when you can't go around a thing, you can only try to bulldoze through it a bit at a time.

• Posted

Then we have more than one thing in common, my problems started in Aug 2012. ;-)
    • Posted

How strange. But then coincidences are as numerous as they are amazing, so much so that I've reached the point where I'm hardly surprised anymore. A favourite is an aged friend's tale of how his grandmother refused to go down to the bomb-shelter one night during WWII. The family were worried sick knowing she was upstairs in danger. At last one of them went up and got her to come down. A bomb then hit the backyard. When the raid was over and they went back into the house, white-hot shrapnel had shot through the grandmother's window and set fire to her bed!
  • Posted

When l first went on omprazole didnt think they were working as it was near two weeks before they improved things 90percent, oddly today l woke feeling rough, despite taking omprazole, usual bloating belching  nausea and the burning coated tongue, hoping its just a bad day, as they do usually work well. lve read of some who improve in a week or so good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.