Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone take Omeprazole to ease symptoms such as digestive problems?

I have had a chronic cough for around 18 months, and have been occasionaly coughing up blood, so my Dr. put me on it. The cough seems to have eased but I am left feeling a little breathless and have a dry throat.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was on it for a while. Seemed to help a little with the blood/bile but my doc was worried about side effects and switched me to bentyl. Much better.
  • Posted

We with haemochromatosis are prone to helicobacter pylori.  Have you been tested for that?

My husband is homozygous H63D and I am homozygous C282Y and we have both had HP.  Mine is more frequent, possibly because C282Y is more aggressive.  In fact, I was found to have 6 duodenal ulcers before HP was discovered.

My husband has a constant phlemmy cough and an endoscopy revealed reflux although he does not complain of reflux symptoms.  He was given strong doses of Osmeprazole which is probably the same as Omeprazole which did not work, and a Ph test of stomach contents was talked about (which involves having a tube inserted in the stomach for 24-28? hours to test the Ph level frequently).

So I thought if it is all about being highly acidic, I got him to take 1/2 teaspon of bi-carb in water, each day.  It reduced his phlemmy cough considerably and we are both able to get good sleep each night.

I also find it best to avoid sugars and starches in my diet because we with HH cannot digest them very well leading to digestive problems.

This experience may be useful to you.

• Posted

Thank you so very much for informative reply Sheryl.

I smiled when I read that your husband was taking bi-carb, because my father swore by it when I was a child, 60 + years ago! I shall give it a go too. 

I have always suffered with stomach pains, as a child and  more so now since the menopause, in fact because the pain would often mean I would pass out, the doctor thought it was my heart ( I have ectopic beats) and fitted a heart monitor, but I now think it's all to do with the Haemochromatosis.... I have only just been diagnosed.

Thanks again, I am so grateful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.