Omeprazole

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been taking 20 mg since 2009. I had Barrats O but recently had the camera down yuk! and its cleared? not sure how except for the use of omeprazole. However, I have gained at least 2 stone. The surgeon said i need to continue taking the meds. I have recently read more info and it left me feeling quite scared. Over long-term use of this med, it can cause heart failure, cancer etc. I have just started taking Slippery elm and read up on this and watched Youtube and it seems a good substitute. Whats really important is not to come off the med straight away and to incorporate the S Elm as well. Then slowly reduce the meds.I know I need to change my diet as well because everything I love causes heartburn! Omeprazole has allowed me to eat and drink whatever I have wanted without the pain. I am trying to weigh up the serious and potentially life-threatening to a life-changing diet! yes, the latter must win. So far I've missed a pill every other day and suffering from heartburn so, I think I need to take Slippery Elm 3 times a day and let it get into my system before reducing my meds. I am interested in anyone's thoughts are experiencing something similar. I have read other peoples side effects whilst taking this med other than weight gain I haven't suffered from anything else. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My husband is on Omeprazole, proabably for the rest of his life, he has heart failure, caused by an infection 7 years ago.

The tablets they have to give him to support his heart give him terrible heart burn, so therefore the tablets, but with our GP's help we have been able to get him off the very heavy dose.

Worth a try I would think, talk to your GP about taking 10mg rather than 20mg tablets if they are available, and see how you go from there, he did have a little heartburn and first few days after he stopped taking the very heavy dose but that then settled

I kept him on bland food, milk, cheese, no onions or garlic, red meat, or anything that could upset his stomach just gave it a break and then re-introduced, no porblems.

• Posted

I have been taking omeprazole since June this year and I also read the long term affects as well so I decided to change my diet and I only take 2-3 pills a week now while I taper off the meds I am I interested to check out this slippery elm and see if it is good to use 
  • Posted

Yes I have been on Omaprazole, for many years with nausea and other symptoms..had three endoscopies over a number of years, the first showing hiatusmhernia and inflammation.

the last one a couple of years ago found nothing, but was told to carry on ..still get reflux problems and swallowing problems a bit etc. 

However a year ago I had a Dexa scan which shows some osteoporosis and was told that these tablets can contribute to that..

the. 

Baxk to the Omaprazole, I have decided not to take them continuously. But sometimes just take them for a few days as as well as other concerns I believe they also contribute to constipation.

I am not medically qualified in any way, and all these tablets can cause problems, and they certainly have helped me over the years..and  if things got worse again I would certainly consider them again with discussions with my dr...these days we have so much chance to look things up ..it makes decisions less easy in some ways

I  do think what you eat or cut out eating rather can really,help as well as always sitting at a table to eat and never on your lap, and chew the food reallly well and cut down the proportions ..I am actually losing weight doing this and  that too much food stuck in the middle of me is just not comfortable..and the only thing I have after about 6 pm is an Apple..

I can’t give advice but just telling what I am trying to do to,help myself best I can ..I wish you luck

Hather

• Posted

Hi gillian00169

Change your diet to non spicey, no fried, have fish chicken boiled or cooked in coconut oil or olive oil, veggies.... not too much broc sprouts cabbage can cause gas..no citrus fruit or fizzy drinks or chocolate.....have yogurt with cultures read label....take probiotics for good gut flora....also go gluten free bread cakes etc., if you make these changes to a bland diet your heartburn and reflux will be minimal...be kind to your gut......then won't have to take ppi's.....

• Posted

Do you know what the long term consequence of Barretts Oesophagus is?

If I were you I would stay on Omeprazole.

If your determined to quit the PPi - you need to take something to neutralise your stomach acid. Full-Fat milk is very good for this. Or there are a range of OTC antacids, such as gaviscon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.