Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I have been taking protonix for a while, then I started with omeprazole for about two years because I have gastritis and hiatal hernia, I left it completely because I had several episodes of Candida infection and muscle pain, now I am going through a rebound crisis of the acid and I am afraid to return to the omeprazole I wanted to know what I can do, I am desperate, because the acid has returned with more force, thank you happy night.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The rebound effect is awful.  Did you slowly ween off them?  My husband was on ppi's for 17 years and weened off, but still has worse heartburn then he ever had even before he went on them.  What made him decide to go off them was after having his first endoscopy a couple months ago, there was damage to his esophagus as well as gastritis, so the ppi's didn't o what they were suppose to, only masked the symptoms which is worse because damage is being done and you are not aware of it. Currently he is trying an osteopath which has given him some relief and taking an over the counter h2 blocker.  I have been diagnosed with gerd the start of the summer of this year, they offered me a Ppi to take for 20 days, but I am trying natural first.....I have more of the silent reflux as I get a lump sensation in the throat, and a burning sensation in my back still very uncomfortable and wish this never happened.  I truly think the only way to actually cure this is a disaplined diet....no caffeine, chocolates, fatty foods, soda pops, alcohol, smoking and the list goes on.  Where I stand frustrated is I had non of that in my diet when this happened, I blame the progesterone cream I was using as this can weaken the lower valve in the esophagus so I have stopped using that for about two months.....another factor is stress and anxiety, if you can find a way to eliminate that it should relax the symptoms.....you need to rebuild your stomach, so feeling it good and gentle foods, maybe even a probiotic if you have candidia and a digestive enzyme to assist in digestion.  It also wouldn't hurt to get blood work done to check your vitamin and mineral levels, as being on a Ppi long term can diminish a lot of nutrients in your body which can contribute to the aches and pains.  Good luck!

• Posted

I would consider an over the counter medicine to try to prevent damage to your esophagus. I also highly recommend gaviscon advance(Amazon). Its the only thing that really helps w/o medication. Good luck 
  • Posted

You can’t just come off PPI’s you have to wean yourself off of them. They are an extremely strong suppresent, when you withdraw your stomach creates even more acid while it tries to level its self back out. I’ve been on PPI’s for 12 years and had an endoscopy last year and there was no damage what so ever, the damage is caused if you don’t take them properly at the right dosage and you don’t watch what you eat. I would continue on another PPI like Nexium or maybe try a H2 blocker such as Ranitidine. Whatever you do, don’t allow yourself to keep getting heartburn or reflux. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.