Omeprazole and calcium deficiency, any comments?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on omeprazole for 15 years, does anyone know about calcium levels and this?

Thanks for any opinions. Jan

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan,

Are you taking omeprazole every day?

I have read they may cause a problem with weak bones but I do know, I've been on them two years each day but there are not working

• Posted

Along with omorezole I am in a strict diet, no seasonings, spicy food, tomato products, soda or caffeine. I eat small meals 5x a day and never allow yourself to get hungry. That produces acid! Sometimes I take a pepcid later day! Also teaspoons of honey 3x a day and vitamins. Calcium, D3, and B12. Omprezole can make you deficient! So far I have been great. No anxiety as much as possible!
    • Posted

Have you increased your dose. They didn't work for me until we doubled the dose

• Posted

Hi

No I haven't increased the dose, I'm on 20mg twice a day, I'm very nervous to increase as I read such awful things about ppi

• Posted

Yes it drastically reduces the levels. Brittle bones are common. Ppis are no good.
    • Posted

Cars kill people every day but I bet you drive or are a passenger in one. Cars are no good either!!
    • Posted

You keep bringing up the fact about the car. And if you think about it your car is just like your body you have to maintain it you have to fill it and if you break a hose in your car you're not going to put a patch on the hose you're going to replace the hose if you have a slice in a tire you're not going to patch the tire you're going to replace a tire. So all in all PPI meds are not good for you and they do reduce the amount of calcium your body intakes which is why you are more susceptible to Broken Bones fractures and it is not good for your liver or kidneys. So fix the issue dont put a bandaid on it. Done lots or research on it. PPIs are poison for your body.

• Posted

Omprezole can make you deficient in calcium and B12. So I take supplements. Along with vit. D3. D3 helps absorb calcium in your body.
  • Posted

Been on them for over 10 years, no problems with calcium levels but then I drink a lot of milk. Your problems could be due to your diet not the PPI
  • Posted

H

Having read several replies in this thread I have a question: does Ranitidine also reduce absorption of certain minerals? I know it reduces stomach acid, though by a different means, so logically does it also reduce mineral absorption and should I take some supliment. I already take a vitamin D capsule on prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.