Omeprazole doesn't seem to be working

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone advise please, I am so fed up with this. About 6 weeks ago I had a bad attack of heartburn, Dr suggested Omeprazole which I took for 2 weeks. I had no wine for this two weeks then decided to try half a glass after feeling a bit better, after one sip my stomach was burning. Dr said it must be Gastritis. I continued with the Omeprazole and sticking to bland diet. I finally started to feel I was getting better, then I get breakthrough stabbing pains in stomach some days, and some days bad heartburn and burning in oesophagus. Surely the medication should have worked after 6 weeks. I can't decide whether to stop the Omeprazole or continued for a bit longer. Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

It can be a stomach infection. You should go for simple tests like blood test, urea test, stool test. And may be endoscopy. To understand if it's parasite or just gastritis.

• Posted

Hi

I have had blood tests all OK. I am waiting for the H Pylori results as Dr said they take a little longer.

• Edited

yes me. I was on that stuff for 10 years and I believe it trashed my regular digestion. Since we need acid for digestion. Now if I attempt to take it I get that stabbing pain. So if I get heartburn I take an otc pepcid or baking soda water mix. I'm not saying to stop taking. Just that I have had same issue. I especially have it when I eat eggs and on an acid blocker. My belief is that eggs are hard to digest without acid.

• Posted

Hi, I did start to wonder if the Omeprezole could even be causing more problems. I do eat eggs so maybe something to consider.

• Edited

Hi karen

Ask your doctor to refer you for an endoscopy to check for gastritis. You may have HPylori a stomach bacteria which causes dreadful heartburn and acid reflux. You could have a breath test or stool test also to test for HP...The Endoscopy can check for both HP and gastritis at the same time. Taking Omeprazole can stop your natural stomach acid from doing it's job of digesting food it also prevents absorption of certain vitamins such as vit B12...

• Posted

Hi,

I have had blood tests all ok but waiting for the H Pylori results. I think if this continues Dr may end me for an Endoscopy.

• Edited

just recently gone through this, still am to be honest.

took me years to get an endoscopy, i was told it was IBS... finally got an endoscopy and had gastritis caused by helicobacter.

you need the endoscopy to see what is causing the gastritis if it is that, but the endoscopy will tell all.

before and still even now i get stomach issues and pains, omeprazole was the only medication to help me, but you have to find the right dosage or the pains will still occur, i was still getting pains on 20mg and no pains on 40mg.

but an endoscopy is needed for sure

• Posted

Hi, hopefully I will get send for an Endoscopy if things don't improve. I did take 40mg for a week or so and things did improve. I went back to 20mg all ok for a few days. Maybe I cut down too soon. Are you still on the Omeprazole?

• Edited

Because they are finding new things about the long term effects of ppi's doctors dont want you to be really on such a high dose for long periods of times and just like you, i could cut down to 20mg or even stop it all together and be trouble free for a few weeks then it just comes straight back.

But to answer your question yes i am still on Omeprazole, i have cut down, tried stopping them but had to go back to 40mg because, bloating, heartburn, stomach pains etc would all start again.

I do get constipation and back pain as a side effect from them but thats better to deal with than the stomach issues.

• Posted

Thanks, today I have take 40mg again. I have been googling horrible stories of people suffering this for months. How long have you been suffering? Are you basically back to normal as long as you keep up with the 40mg? I keep reading scare stories about Omeprazole so hope I don't have to be on it too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.