omeprazole dosage

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been taking omeprazole for 4 days with no improvement except for sleeping better. My doctor said I should take 1 X 20mg per day or if no improvement 2 X 20mg. My question is...do I take both tablets together or 1 in the morning and of an evening?

Also, does anyone else suffer from constant heat flashes with Acid Reflux? Mine is unbearable, hot flash and then chills.

Hope you are all well X 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would call your dr. I would think 1 in the am and 1 in the pm would work. This takes awhile to work. Give it a week or 2.
  • Posted

Hiya, you can do either! I think it's normally assumed that 20mg in morning and 20mg 30 mins before supper is the best bet. I have just shifted to this reigime myself. This gives you 24h coverage as the effective dose is I think 17hours.

Hope that helps!?

• Posted

Omeprazole will help reduce acid but not reflux.

Research a couple of years ago revealed that once daily dosing was usually as good as twice daily. The pills should act continuously over a 24 hour period and have a cumulative effect which increases in a few days.

Whether you take 40mg in one go or in two seperate doses is up to you. It should make no difference. But take them half an hour before food to be most effective. They are not supposed to break down in the stomach and food following on will ensure they have reached the duodenum before they break down and can be assimilated into the blood stream.

• Posted

I get flushed too yes.although it possibly could be an age thing!!my doc told me to give it atleast a couple weeks for them to start working so you should notice a difference soon.maybe lansoprazole don't work for me.

I can't believe the wierd symptoms you get with gerd

• Posted

Many thanks...I've started on 2 a day and I will see what happens. However I had a spoonful of cider vinegar today...wow that certainly helped! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.