Omeprazole not working

Posted , 50 users are following.

Can anyone help? I have suspected Acid Reflux and I have been taking Omeprazole for 3 weeks, I have only noticed a very slight improvement in my condition and I'm wondering if I should stop taking them or do they take much longer to take effect. I have to say I'm not too happy taking them with all the side effects!

5 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Christina., I have been taking Omeprazole for about 4 months now. Somedays I feel ok and sometimes the lump in my throat is still there.

I have been taking one every other day and taking Apple Cider Vinegar tablets as I heard they were good for reflux, but I'm not sure if it's them which are making me worse. I also have the Licorice tablets which people recommend too so not short of meds, lol. I am having Bowen therapy which helped my headaches so now the therapist will work on my reflux in a few weeks so will let you know how I go on. I'm hoping it works and then I don't have to take any tablets.

• Posted

i have been taking omeprazole for 2 weeks as the doc said i had acid reflux. All i can say is that i felt very ill on the omeprazole. I felt shaky inside, i felt as though i had goose bumps INSIDE my body. my eyes felt sore and itchy. i itched and had stinging sensations all over especially feet hands. i felt faint and worst of all- my heart felt like it was fluttering like butterflies all the time. i went back to the doc and he took me straight off them. trouble is- they were great for the reflux and ive now been put on zantac which is not very helpful at all? so now im wondering if that is that as far as help for reflux goes? or is there something else?
  • Posted

I've been taking omeprazole for over two years. They worked a treat, but now been informed by my doctor I will have to be on them for life as my own acid via nature will no longer be effective. This has really peeved me off to be honest. I suggest very strongly to think of alternatives before taking omeprazole. Make this med your last resort people.

Daz

• Posted

I have been taking an alternative to Omeprazole that I find works much better. Pantaprazole. You can buy this over-counter (Licensed name is Pantaloc Control, it's quite expensive too...£12+ for 7 pills) but please consult your GP first (and don't take them at the same time as Omeprazole!!)

I was taking Omeprazole for 3 months with no effect (at all, no side effects, nothing) and was switched to Pantaprazole. Two days after I started taking it my reflux disappeared. I still have to be careful with what I eat, it seems the balance is quite a fine line. But so long as I know what to avoid I no longer feel nauseous or in pain.

I also take Ranitidine (Licensed as Zantac, but the "own brand" stuff seems to be just as good) when I eat something I shouldn't have and the symptoms appear but these don't tend to work as well nowadays.

• Posted

I have acid reflux brought on by myself. Before that, I could eat anything and any amount without any problems.

At the end of May 2013, I had a cold and I was eating a lot of tomatoes, garlic, chocolates, and onions, gargling with alcohol, and drinking lemon juice everyday a few times a day. The cold went away, but I had scratchy throat and dry cough. Thinking that my cold was not completely gone, so I kept eating the above food every day because they all contain antioxidant and should help my cold.

Not until the end of August, 3 months later, did I realize that those were acid reflux symptoms and I was making it worse with the above food. I then stopped eating all the offensive food and taking tums. I just finished a 14-day course of omeprazole (20 mg) without a prescription. But the symptoms come and go. The directions on the packaging said do not take it for more than 14-days or more than 4 months unless directed by a doctor. So I stopped.

I have noticed that many of you took omeprazole much longer than 14 days. So it looks like it is safe to take it on a long term basis. But then why was it necessary for the manufacturer to put that warning on the label?

I have had dizzying spells and feel nauseous lately. I had a dizzying episode today but I had stopped taking the omeprazole treatment yesterday. Could this still be attributed to omeprazole? What are some other side effects for long term use? I don't want to take apple cider vinegar. Other than Pantoprazole, can anyone suggest a good alternative to omeprazole?

I feel the tightness and a little pain in my chest when I get up in the morning (and after I eat)although I have been sleeping on an inclined bed. I also feel some food sticking in my throat. I was thinking that since I brought on the acid reflux myself by eating all the food that aggravated the condition, it should go away once I stopped eating the offensive food. But that has not been the case. I have been eating oatmeal, porridge, fish and tofu for the past 6 weeks. But I still have the problem. Eat some well-cooked collard green the other day and it make the condition worse. I need some advice as to what food to avoid and what food is safe from your experience.

I have read that if left untreated, it could cause cancer of the esophagus. So I have had this condition for 4 months now and 3 of of those without treatment. Followed by Omeprazole tums it has not gone away. Now I wonder if I am at risk for having cancer of the esophagus. Does anyone know how long it takes to develop the cancer?

In my case, I brought the condition on by myself. In other cases, why would a healthy human being suddenly develop this condition?

I would appreciate any insights from anyone.

• Posted

Wind, the first question to ask if whether you have been to see your doctor about this? Just for your peace of mind I think you should make an appointment sooner rather than later. I'm NOT saying that I think there is anything seriously wrong but I feel that you are a bit of a worrier and I should know because I must be the world's worst! I was surprised that you took so many things to try and get rid of a cold when everyone knows, or at least are told, that there is no cure for the common cold, it comes -it stays- it goes. I've never heard of gargling with alcohol or drinking lemon juice to be a cure for it and the acid in the lemon juice can't have done your throat much good.

As I said in earlier posts, I took Omeprazole for a few months but after a while it seemed to stop working so I tried other things like chewing gum or over the counter Rennies etc. Some days would be really bad and I would have heartburn as soon as I got up in the morning or would get it about an hour after eating food and it was really getting me down. I eventually had an endoscopy which found polyps in my stomach and the muscle at the top of my stomach wasn't closing properly but otherwise no treatment apart from the omeprazole as and when needed. I don't know whether it was knowing the results of the endoscopy or a slightly different diet but I very rarely get heartburn now and when I do it's very mild and doesn't last long. If it is the diet then maybe you could try something just to see if it helps. What I changed was that I have stopped using milk on my cerials which I have in the morning and for supper and have started using either Soya milk, Almond milk or Rice milk, all of which are very nice, especially the Cappuccino flavoured soya milk! The only cows milk I have is a couple of times a day in a cup of tea. I wish I had kept a record of when the heartburn stopped as it may coincide with the change in the milk but I've certainly been almost heartburn free for at least four months or more and I haven't needed to take the omeprazole for a long time. I also used to eat a lot of apples, two or three a day but don't eat so many now so maybe that's something to do with it as well. By the way, the dose of omeprazole that I was prescribed for long term use was 10mg and you've been taking 20mg which might make a difference, perhaps it's too strong.

My advice is to go and see your doctor which I feel you are putting off because you think that it's your fault that you've got the problem. You seem to be showing some signs of anxiety and being so concerned about what you eat probably isn't helping. I know that before I had the endoscopy I was worried that I had stomach cancer or something but having the worry taken away certainly helped so I'm sure that the sooner you go the better. You may be put on a smaller dose of omeprazole or something else but I think that every time you get the bad feelings in your stomach and throat it makes you worry more which then just adds more to your anxiety and it starts all over again. Please go and see your doctor and get it sorted so you can get your life back to normal.

• Posted

Hi.

Read all your posts with interest. My situation is that having never suffered even from occasional heartburn, I have now had almost continuous heartburn for two months which started soon after a gastric bug. I have taken omeprazole 20mg for month with little effect and have now had dose doubled for last 10 days and if anything symptoms are getting worse. Gaviscon liquid is the only temporary relief. Have a totally bland diet, no acidic food or drink, no alcohol or carbonated drinks and sleeping uncomfortably on too many pillows. Really fed up with the continuous burning. Don't know whether to keep taking the tablets when they obviously don't work for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Posted

hi i have been on omeprazole now for 7 months ,,, previous to that i was on 40mg of nexium for 2 years

it stopped working ... now the omeprazole has started to fail me although i was only taking 20mg daily..

difference is though i am getting really bad acid coming up to my throat and tongue as well as heartburn though not really that bad ..my gullet was really sore last week but settling down . chest pain indigestion in my stomach but not all the time ... i blame a course of antibiotics i was given prior to that ,and pain killers for pain now doc is sending me for camera .again .

i had one 5 years ago just as a routine appointment when i was on some other ppi ..but i was symptom

free then so i never worried ...interesting enough like the other lady said on here ... as soon as i was all

clear i never took them for 2 years ..until it came back...now i am scared stiff they are looking for something

else ..i am a very anxious person i went to see the consultant today for my pre camera appointment ..he was no help to me at all quite arrogant and said lets see what the camera sees ...all he time i was

sat waiting i could feel the acid coming up my throat and my stomach was killing me ..it lasted all day i was so churned up .. cant bear the thought of waiting 2 weeks for my appointment i am totally freeked out

snapping at everyone and getting myself worked up ..i know it is ridiculous ..any tips how to calm my self down ,,we going away next week for little holiday for a week ...i dont want to go i wont feel settled .till i go

any help appreciated ...

• Posted

Hi Vivient58, My advice to you is to really try and stop worrying. I am the same as you - a very anxious person. I was suffering badly a few months ago with indigestion, heartburn and chest pains. I was on omeprazole and found it didnt start working until I had been on it for several weeks. I went and had an endescopy which I was absolutely petrified about - the thought of having it done was my worse nightmare. I managed to get through it and it really wasnt as bad as I imagined it to be - I was sedated which definitely helped. Anyhow, I was found to have hiatus hernia and mild gastritis.

As soon as I had had the endescopy and I found out what it was, my symptoms disappeared pretty quickly! I now occasionally have slight indigestion or heartburn and take omeprazole as and when needed as advised by my doctor. I know what you mean about worrying and snapping at everyone - please try and relax - it really isnt worth making yourself miserable. Enjoy your holiday and try and relax - you may find your symptoms calm down a bit once you are feeling more relaxed. Let us know how you get on .

• Posted

hi just an update.had the endoscopy done last week. everything looked ok doc said .had a biopsy for h pyloristill waiting for results .. still getting acid coming up my throat though .. mabye it is the bug causing

my symptoms or maybe another ppi needed ..still a little anxious i know are making my symptoms worse

so need to chill out ... thanks for your reply ...

• Posted

Hi all, I initially started on Omeprazole, just 20mg a day, started working on the 4th day slowly, by 2 wks the pain in my tummy rose more into my chest and back and was getting slight shooting pains on the left of my chest,dr told me to continue and it did eventually go about a wk later. Effects of the pills in the beginning was slight burred vision that went back to normal after a few days of on and off. I was still getting the odd niggle of tummy and chest trouble 2 months later but was hoping to come off them as this was my 2nd course. A wk before I suffered stress and anxiety due to stuff going on in my personal life. And that upset it all over again so I have ended up more pills only doubling the dose because the one 20mg a day wasn't working.

I am now a wk later and not much better, its nearly constant all the time, like it was 2 months ago,cept the pills when i take seem to worsen it for awhile and past 4 days I have become forgetful, confused and today groggy as well. And cried most of day which is not like me.

The pain in my tummy is from belly upwards to bottom of chest, tho' with the pills it lessens in the tummy but is more in the chest and back.

I stopped taking the pills today to see what happens as i feel they are no longer working. Its not gotten worse yet,cept for tonight I had soup like I have every night and it felt a little worse during and after for abit. Am hoping to god I don't have to go back on them.

I have loads of allergies and used to get gut burning but never as severe or as persistant as this.

Its weird how I go bed at night, sleep for a few hours then around 4 or 5 am it wakes me up, and feeling starving with the pain like my stomac is eating itself. Its a gnawing pain. I was having to get up and eat a little bread even tho' I knew it weren't really hunger. it did help a little.

But its also strange how I can have kip in the day and when i wake initially there is hardly any pain - bliss, then it comes back slowly but surely.

I have had blood tests all come back normal. Awaiting scan which is due xmas eve of all things. This is for gallbladder and gallstones but am doubting its either.

Maybe the dr should've put me in for an endoscopy.

• Posted

Omeprazole works by blocking the production of stomach acid. It is said to block from 90 to 99%. It is not an antacid like Tums that you take when you feel the heartburn. It is to be taken daily and can take several days to a week to begin working 100%.

If it's not working for you after taking daily for about a week or so, there could be a few reasons:

1. The dose is too low. Check with your doctor about getting a higher dose.

2. Your problem is not caused entirely by too much stomach acid.

3. Your problem is not caused at all by too much stomach acid.

Other conditions that cause pain in the stomach are gastritis, ulcers, and inflammation, all of which could have many causes from too much aspirin or other nsaids to infections. If you take nsaids daily for a long period of time, even if you don'l exceed the recommended daily maximum, it can damage the stomach lining. Bacterial infections can cause ulcers and inflammation. While there is great debate about the usefulness of H. Pylori, too much of it can cause problems, and too much of it is usually caused by not enough stomach acid, rather than too much. Stress can cause stomach issues as well.

All of the above cause pain the stomach, and are not the same as the heartburn pain you get in the upper chest area when acid gets to your esophagus. PPIs like Omeprazole are the standard treatment for all of the above. Reducing acid allows both the stomach lining to heal, and helps to prevent the reflux of acid to your esophagus. But the picture is not all rosy with these drugs.

A damaged stomach lining can take a very long time to heal and the omeprazole should also be acompanied by lifestyle changes. Stop nsaids. Restrict acidy spicy foods. Take anti inflammatory foods and supplements such as DGL, a form of licorice, raw organic honey, carrot juice, aloe vera juice, boswellia extract and green tea. If you are going to be on this drug for longer than two weeks, you should also take supplements of calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as well as Vitamin D3 and B12. The lack of stomach acid caused by the PPIs means that these minerals and vitamins don't get properly metabolized and absorbed from your food. Long term use can lead to osteoporosis in a fairly short time, even in young people.

If all of your pain is in the upper chest area and Omeprazole is not working after adjusting the dose, your pain may be cause by *bile* rather than acid, getting to the esophagus. PPI medications do nothing to reduce or neutralize bile. Bile is not acidic. Just the opposite. It is very alkaline, and so alkaline that it too can hurt the esophagus the same as stomach acid. Bile is not supposed to be in your stomach, but sometimes it back washes in there when your stomach empties into the small intestine. ****If you have enough acid in the stomach, it should neutralize the bile.****

This is very important. The latest research is leading us to believe that more often than not, this condition may be misdiagnosed, and that the real culprit in a lot of the reflux and GERD issues is NOT ENOUGH STOMACH ACID, rather than too much.To cut this post short (I know, too late), I will just suggest you Google Betaine HCL, and learn about how to test yourself very easily for this.

Good luck to all.

• Posted

Hi, I take Lansoprazole as I found the Omeprazole not to be much help to me.

Can I also take Betaine HCI too on top of them?

• Posted

Betaine HCL adds acid. Omeprazole and Lansoprazole prevent it. They are at odds with each other, so you would not take them at the same time. HCL is for people who are not generating enough stomach acid. You can see if low acid is your real problem by testing with different doses of Betaine HCL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.