Omeprazole not working

Posted , 50 users are following.

Can anyone help? I have suspected Acid Reflux and I have been taking Omeprazole for 3 weeks, I have only noticed a very slight improvement in my condition and I'm wondering if I should stop taking them or do they take much longer to take effect. I have to say I'm not too happy taking them with all the side effects!

5 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So I would have to come off the Lansoprazole and wait a while to see if the Betaine works??? That would be hard as if I miss the Lansoprazole a few days, my windpipe hurts with the reflux
  • Posted

Unfortunately, once you start a PPI, you have to wean yourself off of it slowly, gradually lowering the dose, then going to once a day instead of twice, or every other day, them going to the less powerful acid supressors like Zantac, then doing the same dose lowering routine with that one until you are off. As you found out the hard way, just stopping brings back the acid worse than ever.

If you already have damage to your esophagus (Barretts), and you are not using other lifestyle change strategies, proceed with caution. Check with your doctor before changing any doses you have been prescribed. But you'll need to stop them to give the Betaine HCL a fair test.

• Posted

Because I am scared of having the camera down as I have bad gagging reflexes, no-one has properly diagnosed what I have. I know when I get stressed my stomach hurts more and I can't lie on my right handside in bed as it rises up my windpipe.

So I really don't know what I have wrong.

• Posted

I understand your reluctance. I only had the upper endoscopy once, while I was already under for a colonoscopy. Sort of a double ender :-). If you are 50 or older, perhaps you can combine them like that. But others at this forum who have had just the upper say it's not as bad as it seems.

The endoscopy is the only way to spot certain things and get tissue samples to test for others. Not to scare you as it's pretty rare, but esophageal cancer can only be found this way. There are usually no symptoms until its at the untreatable stage. They found Barretts short segments when they did mine. So I am on the "watch" list now, as that is a precursor.

Talk to a GI doctor and find out what your options are. Perhaps they will put you completely out. I would think they would prefer that if you express enough terror at the thought of the tube/camera going down your throat. After all, they don't want you moving around while they do it. Perhaps someone who has had an upper can comment on that. You really need to know what's going on before you can treat it properly

• Posted

Yes I agree, I'm terrible at going to the dentist too and having x-rays. I have to have the x-ray where they scan round your mouth now instead of inserting the films into my mouth.

I'm such a baby.

I live in the UK so not sure if the doctors over here knock you out altogether, but I hope so.

• Posted

rjdriver thanks for all the info. I would've posted sooner but stuff caught up with me before xmas.

I did stop taking Omeprazole as dr had increased dose to 2x a day. And have to say am so glad I quit, tho' I didn't ween myself off as didn't think. About a day later I was no worse and just slightly better, then the day after that, was quite alot better. For me coming off was the best decision I made. Is I think 3 wks ago now since coming off and am nearly 100% better.

I think with me I had an infection that was causing the pain as thats the only thing that showed originally in the blood tests, and was then taking 1 tablet a day and they did help alot, then due to stress it flared up. Dr increased dose to 2 and I actually felt worse an hour after taking a pill and the pain was constant like it was in the beginning when i first took them.

I had another blood test while on 2 pills a day and infection weren't there. Also have had scan on stomach and all clear.

Perhaps bile was causing the pain after infection had gone as every day on the pills with the increase, I had alot of catarrah.

The worrying effects I had was my memory getting worse every day!! The last day before I quit I didn't know what I was doing in town and I felt drugged. I would've been a danger had I drove a car.

Perhaps as you say I also didn't have enough acid so the pills were indeed making it worse after infection had cleared.

I hope this may help others out there as I don't think Omeprazole are the answer to acid in the tummy for some ppl.

I really didn't realise how ill the pills had made me, physically and mentally. I was becoming depressed and nearly broke down. Took nearly a wk for my memory to be back to normal.

• Posted

Can taking apple cider vinegar make my already swollen esophagus worse? My chiropractor told me that because of the Prilosec shutting down my acid, I am no longer absorbing vital nutrients since my stomach can not properly digest without acid. So he recommended the ACV. I tried 1 tablespoon of ACV with the first few bites of my meals yesterday and woke up barely able to swallow. It may have been the 1 glass of wine that I gave into having at dinner last night, but I doubt it. What if it's the acid in the vinegar in an already enflamed throat? I read some warnings about this online. Or maybe it was worse because I did not dilute it.

I feel that ACV may my only hope to replenishing the healthy, safe acid back to my stomach but am afraid to try again today. Has this happened to anyone else and can diluting it make enough difference to risk trying again? I'm afraid I won't be able to breathe if the experiment goes wrong sad So tired of pharmaceuticals that will only give me long term issues and want to find an answer. I want to get off my Prilosec. Any help and good suggestions out there? Thank you!

• Posted

I'm new to refux problems too but I would dilute the ACV. I put a little hot water in a glass, add honey and stir to mix, then top off the glass with green tea and crushed ice. Actually isn't too bad. Turns out though I shouldn't use green tea because it's high in Vitamin K and negates the blood thinners I'm on for afib. *sigh* Can't win! lol

And I have health anxieties too...but I got it from doctors over the years who made me double check their work for accuracy...and finding that many just 'wing it'. 

• Posted

Lifesabeach,

Your chiropractor is right. But if you are on Prilosec because of acid damage to your esophagus, you should definitely NOT add acid back with ACV until that issue is healed. Have you been diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus?

You are right to be concerned about being on acid suppressing drugs for too long, but they do serve a purpose when used temporarily. If acid reflux is your problem there are more natural alternatives to treat it involving lifestyle and diet adjustments, or even some minor surgeries if the issue is caused by hernia or malfunctioning esophageal sphincter.

But until you learn more about the other treatments, as long as you are on Prilosec, your best bet is to supplement with calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D3, and B12. These are the primary nutrients that don't get absorbed while on acid suppressing drugs.

• Posted

Totally agree with you that you need to supplement if taking these to put back the vitamins and minerals. Omega 3 can also help as can fibre.
  • Posted

Think they would have helped more by now if they were going to, why not try a different one? Some people have to try loads of them before they find the right one. It might be that pp2s are better for you than pp1s.
  • Posted

Hi, I did some research and found a good book called "Honestly Healthy" which has lots of advice about out about acid-forming foods to avoid and alkali-forming foods which can help to counteract/negate any acid that is being formed in the stomach. If you follow the advice and learn to reduce your acid you can reduce the dependence on medication and any pain or discomfort caused by acid indigestion. It's also worth noting what you eat and what exacerbates your symptoms; for example, I know that my acid levels are worse when I eat dairy products; fatty, sugary or spicy foods; drink booze or smoke tabs! That doesn't always stop me though ...
  • Posted

Oh, and forgot to mention what the dr says, that NSAIDs (Ibuprofen?) and other things like mefanemic acid, which is prescribed for people with bad period pain, will also f*** up your stomach and leave you more prone to acid problems. So basically, the only way to go for pain medication is aspirin and / or homeopathic remedies. I used to take alot of nurofen for headaches but now I'm experimenting with Feverfew, yoga, and massage instead.
    • Posted

My doctor used to give me mefanemic acid every month. If I had known I would have thought twice about taking it. They never look towards the future and the consequences of things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.