Omeprazole, Pepcid or Nothing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

In all my decades as an adult, I have very, very rarely had stomach problems, almost never.  About 8 years ago, after an endoscopy, I was told I had a hiatus hernia and a weak sphincter where my esophagus empties.  I have taken omeprazole ever since based on the doctor's recommendayion.

After reading of several potential problems from years of use, I asked the doctor and was told that I could use Pepcid if I were concerned about omeprazole.  On days where I have skipped taking omeprazole, NEVER a problem.  I wonder about taking it every other day.  Or, if I switch to Pepcid (famotidine), take that everry other day.  Or, since I'm in my 70s, and don't have indigestion, skip taking any drugs -- unless I have some problems.

Opinions???

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you can take Omeprazole every other day and 2 weeks later every other 3 days to see how it goes.  Never stop at once specially after so many years of taking it.  This is not only my opinion but the opinion of many Doctors I have seen. Sure, a GI will tell you to take them daily. Are you taking any supplements and vitamis like B12, D3, Calcium?
    • Posted

Yes, I regularly take a multi-vitamin and B-Complex, but rarely calcium.  If I were a female, I know cal;cium would be especially impotant.
    • Posted

How about magnesium?  To be on the safe side your best option will be to replace Omeplazole with Pepcid and then go down to every other day. Btw, Calcium is important to both, specially at your age. (no disrespect). But is best if you just drink almond milk or smething like that.
    • Posted

The Kirkland (Costco) pill I take contains some calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, etc., etc. in additiopn to the vitamis.  Maybe not 100% of the MDR, but I also get nutrients in my food.
  • Posted

The problem with your  idea to skip or stop altogether unless you have reflux is that omeprazole is a preventative medicine.Its no good waiting until you get reflux because the damage will be done. I have an Hiatus  Hernia but due to not being given antacids over the years i have Barretts Oesophagus  and have endoscopys every  2 years to make sure there is no narrowing or precancerous cells  so not a good idea to stop using Omeprazole.
    • Posted

When do you know you have reflux?  Again, before I ever took omeprazole, I rarely if ever had stomach discomfort.  I ate whatever I wanted, drunk coffee, etc. and no problems.  I only started taking it because the doctor said to.  

Wouldn't taking omeprazole every 2 or 3 days lessen risk of reflux/gerd damage, and also reduce the potential risks from taking the drug -- increased chance of dementia in us 70+ year olds, possible kidney problems and polyps?

• Posted

Yes, PPI's will do that for long term use.  Now, Pepcid is not a PPI, is a H2 blocker which is safer.   I have mild reflux, which is not in your stomach, it will be in your esophagus, throat or even lungs and create breathing problems, chest pain, rib-cage pain and even back pain. Believe me or not, most humans have mild reflux on their esophagus and is not because you have high acid.
    • Posted

Again. I started taking omeprazole 8 years ago only because I was told to.  No pains whatsoever, but supposedly needed because of hiatus hernia and that weak sphincter according to the doctor.
    • Posted

I dont get doctors prescribing Omeprazole when you have had no acid reflux.I used to get it a lot and would wake up in the night with bile burning the back of my throat. No pattern to why i got in sometimes and not others.Had Gallstones at 28 years old and had  my Gallbladder removed. At 62 had Pancreatitis  and am now on 2 x 20 mg of Omeprazole at night.As i have said this med is a preventitive measure as its not just reflux but the affects that reflux can cause. At the end of the day its your body and your choice and whats good for one person might not suit another.
    • Posted

Not sure if your answer is directed to me-  I gave you my suggestion and is up to you to what you feel is right for you. Good luck and God bless. ;-)
  • Posted

Hiya been following your thread and would like to ask a question.

ive got ceoliac disease and was perfectly fine following my gluten free diet.

Then out of the blue I had a virus and a bad cough for 6 mths. To cut it short I got referred to Ent. The consultant put me on omeprazole 20 mg a steroid spray and advised to take enzymes.

ive taken all the above as advised and feel lots better and my cough has gone thank goodness. The pepsin you take is it an enzyme replacement or an enzyme activator do you know? 

I can't find any other ceoliac with the same problem that has been advised to take enzymes. Plus on my next appointment in 2 weeks why I need enzyme replacement, why would it just happen so suddenly so to speak ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.