omeprazole side affects ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello , I hope you dont mind me seeking help for my husband who does not 'do' the interent.

He has been suffering from extreme fatigue for over a year now although symptoms have probably come on gradually. He has had test after test  and the only thing they have found was anaemia which they treated but which didnt have any affect at his next blood test , the GP just says it his age (67 ) and its ok to feel tired . He falls asleep at the table after breakfast and may go back to bed again as he feels so tired and  he has real apathy , this is not like him. I have also noticed that his pupils appear strange , smaller and as if he has drunk alot of alcohol.

We eat pretty well, he eats meat and liver, eggs etc and lots of home grown vegetables but I feel that the medication may be the culprit. I am trying to get him to ask for a B12 blood test next time he has an apointment.

He has been taking sublingual B12 and folate and he did seem to improve a bit but after reading about over use of B12 I bought a lower dose . 1mg I think.

We are in the UK and its hard to know what to ask for. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing and how did they proceed.? also would he need to stop the B12 supplement for a period of time before a blood test ? thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If he has been supplementing he will need to stop for four months before getting a blood test. Has he been checked for thyroid function? Low B12 and underactive thyroid often go together, as they have in my case. Taking omeprazole will have an effect on the way vitamins are absorbed, so that could be a contributory factor.

i would suggest that he get a full thyroid function test, TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone), FreeT4, FreeT3, and antibodies. Also, B12, ferritin and folate and VitD. If he improved a bit on the supplements it does sound as though B12 could be the answer. The usual treatment from the doctor is six loading injections over two weeks, then three monthly from then onwards.

i do hope he will get the help he needs sooner rather than later. I know from my own experiences how awful I felt, so he has my sympathy. Well done for helping him. Marion

ps The Pernicious Anaemia Society have a website that has a lot of info, including a symptom list.

Have a look on the Health Unlocked forum under Pernicious Anaemia and ThyroidUK sites. Members post their own experiences and offer advice, not doctors, but people who are living with these conditions.

• Posted

thank you Marion , I'll make a note of all that , I have considered thyroid too although he dosnt seem to have the outward signs of which I have read.

All I need to do now is to get him to ask for these tests . He still thinks the doc knows best.,

• Posted

Hello

I take vitamin B12 boost spray as I was suffering with terrible dizziness, unsteady gait, tiredness, brain fog etc. I have improved almost 99% I'd say, when I hit a hormonal time (periods and ovulation) I do still feel a little dizzy but no where near as fuzzy as before I started the B12 spray. I was supposed to have a B12 serum test but I couldn't cope with feeling so ill any longer so I thought I'd give the spray plus a good multi vit a whirl and I do feel lots better. There's no danger of too much B12 as any excess is flushed out in the urine. Omeprazole and other PPI'S are a major culprit for B12 deficiency. Hope this helps and hope hubby feels better soon x

• Posted

Oh yes I take omeprazole too x
    • Posted

thank you Donna , I hope you continue to feel better.

I have tried to get hime to try the HCL pepsin and maybe a bitter such as Centaurium instead of the PPI  but he's afraid to stop the meds.

• Posted

I'm not sure why you're askinq me Barbara. I was told I had pernicious anaemia 4 months ago, had 6 B12 injections on alternate days, and now have a B12 injection every 12 weeks.  I feel very good, I play golf, ride my bike and go for long walks.  I'm 83.

if I can help I will be very pleased to, but I can't see how.

• Posted

oh dear Dave, I thought I had started a new thread . I seemed to go through the motions any way. Well, I'm glad you feel so well and hope I can get that sort of result for my husband.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.