Omeprazole Side Effects? Light headed? Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 115 users are following.

My Mother was experiencing severe pain across her ribs and back which the doctors say is indigestion but only now and again. She was put on Omeprazole about a month ago and after taking one in the morning she starts to feel light headed, dizzy and generally unwell. She then seems to panic about it and feels she cant breathe which makes her panic more. Her chest and heart are perfectly fine. She stopped taking the tablets yesterday in case they are causing these problems and she is having tests done next week to check for ulcers etc. Has anyone else had these problems? How long do the side effects take to go away when you have stopped taking them?

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have taken it on and off in the past few months. It helps with the acid etc but now I'm having side affects. Dizziness,  dull headache in the back of my head, Nervousness

It's really scaring me. I noticed others with the same thing. I'm stopping now. I took one yesterday but no more. I'm so unhappy today. 

When will it leave my system?? sad 

• Posted

hi, dont worry I was also totally down , especially on the 14th day off it. and after it slowly went to better. Now i'm off for 24 days and I'm almost perfect smile . just hang on and dont worry...
    • Posted

Hi, so many people have had different side effects with this medication.  I only took it for a few days, and then threw it away.  took about a week to feel better.  
    • Posted

The side effect I had with this drug was acute agitation.  As I already suffer from mild anxiety this was the worse medication for me.  People have reported so many different side effects with this medication.  Glad you are feeling better now.  But what do we do about our symptoms.  I have been prescribed one for nausea that is working.
    • Posted

I was prescribed this drug last December  for reflux but was nervous to start it.  I only started to take it in March 2014 then started getting dizzy, racing heart and its got worse and worse since then. I stopped taking the medication on 3 occasions but still keep having the racing heart and palpitations.  I started on the medication again on Monday this week and have felt terrible since with dizziness and more palpitations, fuzzy sight and shortness if breath, it's really horrible.  I'm not taking it again and hope it leaves my system soon having only taken it for 4 days.    There has to be something else we can take, any ideas? 
  • Posted

Hi All,

I only started taking this medication one week ago (20mg, time release, generic over the counter, one a day) on advice from my dentist who believed mild acid reflux was damaging my teeth (the acid reflux was supposedly so mild, i never even noticed it). After two or three days on the medication I began to feel extremely dizzy, weak, confused, clamy, and had intense panic attacks. The dizzy/weak/panic spells come on about two or three times a day, last about an hour, and usually subside at nighttime. I was freaking out, thinking I have some way more serious condition until yesterday when I googled the side effects of Omeprazole. It seems like most people in this thread have taken the drug for a very long time, i've only been on it a week. Does this seem to fit others' experiences? THis is day one not on the medication (my doctor didn't return my call) and although i woke up feeling fine, i'm having another spell right now. Any thoughts? reassurances? Much thanks

• Posted

So many different side effects with this drug.  It gave me acute agitation.  Stopped it after a few days.  I don't even think I have got acid reflux, although my doctor said I have gastritis.  So bad that a drug can do this to us.  I think if we do not take it for long the effects fade quicker.  I have mild anxiety anyway, so bad drug for me.  Side effects should fade soon for you.  Hope you get on OK.  
  • Posted

Have been given these omeprazole a few months ago for feelings of nausea  and general stomch discomfort, rerasd on side affects and neve took them, decided to check on hear and im so scared now as so many people like your mother plus the panic attacks as well, did your mum feel ok after stopping taking them. from from being reasured im more scared than ever now to take them, mean while still suffering and not taking them. next step if these didn't help was to have camera down throat which also im terrified off as both my son and hubby have had this and i cant face it.
    • Posted

I was prescribed Omeprazole for same reason you were.  The nausea was very bad and I could not eat.  However after 10 days I stopped it as it gave me acute agitation.  Seems there are so many different side effects to this drug.  I went back to doctor and he did not query why I stopped it.  probably not surprised.  I asked for something to stop the awful nausea that did not have side effects like the Omeprazole and he prescribed Metoclopramide which works - and no side effects.  I had an ultrascan on my abdomen to rule out anything sinister, and perhaps you could have one of those, as no evasive just a gentle machine over your tummy.  Have a word with your doctor. 
    • Posted

Thanks Anne for that info, cant believe the meds doctors are giving us with so many side affects, its outrageous.
    • Posted

Hey Susan, I did what is called a Yellow Card which you can fill in on line.  This goes to help with the leaflet in the pills and alerts whoever controls our drugs to let them know of the side effects they are causing.  I do hope you are feeling better.  Have you been back to your doctor?:  I reckon doctors know about side effects, they just never tell us because some people get them and some dont.  The leaflet does not really tells us what side effect we might get, but I am amazed at how peoploe on here have suffered.  
  • Posted

I started taking Omeprazole 2 weeks ago because the doctor thinks I have acid reflux !!! I am experiencing quite bad stomach pain/cramps in my abdomen, in fact  I have had stomach pain constanly for the last 2 days, whereas last week and week before it was intermittant, I'm on 40 mg a day. I am not constipated and theres no vomiting, but my head feels fuzzy and I just feel unwell too.
  • Posted

Hypochlorhydria.    - low stomach acid.     Check it out on google.     The signs are frequently  mistaken as too much acid.    Some signs of low acid are reflux, wind and bloating.     The remedy is to take betaine hcl and  low acid is most likely after the age of about 40.....

• Posted

Well theres a thought Sue, low stomach acid instead of to much, this is really not good then if people are being mis diagnosed, given a remedy to slow down the acid when in fact more is needed! not anyone has come on hear to say actually

omeprazole are ok with no side affects  experienced, ive spoken to two people who have taken them with no problems but one of them said whilst they gave no side affects they didn't help much either.

• Posted

Really, look up Hypochlorhydria. On google.

another test you an do to check stomach acid, is take a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of tepid water first thing in morning when you get up.  If you burp straight away there is enough acid,   A few minutes its low...   10 minutes and  its very very low .....     

• Posted

Oh right well thats easy enough to do thanks for the tip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.