Omeprazole side effects: numbness and tightness in abdomen.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone! Back in March 2019 I was having trouble burping so I reached into my medicine cabinet and took a very old prescription of Omeprazole( 20 mg). Day four of talking the drug I started to experience tightness in my stomach muscles followed by changes in my stool. I did not put two and two together and continued taking it. March 27th I went to Urgent Care because of the tightness feeling I was experiencing and was told that it was GERD, so I was prescribed 40mg of Omeprazole for 2 weeks. Two days later I was panicked and My rushed me to the ER where I had Blood tests , ultrasound , and an EKG. All tests were normal and was diagnosed with gastritis. I followed up with my GP and she referred me to a Gastroenterologist. I had a colonoscopy , ultrasound, and endoscopy. All test were normal except for a little extra acid. I joined a Gerd support group online and a group member said that my symptoms sound like I was suffering from side effects from Omeprazole. I visited and saw a lot of the symptoms I was having. I now have numbness and tightness in my stomach only. It has been almost six months and no changes. I am now fearing it my be MS. My family and I moved to Germany July 2019 and I am currently looking to find a neurologist. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to my symptoms?

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did you tell your doctor that the omeprazole you took was out of date and has any doctor suggested you are having PPI side effects? Have you looked at the patient medication leaflet and online information on omeprazole to see if what you are experiencing are indeed side effects? Maybe the omeprazole disturbed the nerves in your stomach and caused the numbness.

Try these solutions first of all before overthinking your symptoms. Worry makes gut problems worse. Maybe you are experiencing stress and anxiety symptoms and this is contributing to your gut problems Have you tried milk which is a natural antacid to see if that soothes your stomach? Have your symptoms worsened? I would see more gastroenterologists rather than a neurologist first of all because it seems your problems are focused on your stomach.

• Posted

Hello. I did indeed visit a patient forum where they discuss the various side effects of PPI'S. Your advice makes total sense! I want to air on the side of caution and rule out anything neurological. If they can't explain anything medically wrong with me, then I'll try Acupuncture, milk, meditation , etc... I'm not a person who suffers from depression or anxiety, but when you start to have symptoms that come out of nowhere , you become a little anxious and try to find out what the culprit is. I thank you for your time and advice...Tschüss!

• Posted

Sometimes drugs can leave lasting effects on the body which doctors don't like to admit to. It sounds more like the omeprazole irritated your stomach since you started getting reactions soon after taking the PPI. Sometimes people get neuropathy as a drug side effect and this condition can appear anywhere in the body.A lot of people on the Neuropathic pain forum on this site, talk about medications they were on triggering neuralgia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.