Omeprazole vs Lansoprazole

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone been either of these medications for GERD.  I started on Omeprazole then my doctor gave me Lansoprazole to try but found that I had stomach probelms on this, constipation and feeling sick so have started taking Omeprazole again.  I hope that it doesn't make things worse by changing meds, has anyone else had to do this?

Thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amanda My experienc is minly of Lansoprole. I have been taking it for two months now 30mg daily.Its certainly helped me andI thought given my wife has been on it some years 15mg daily that I was on a high dose  I am surprised to read some are on mg twice a day.Because I am having trouble sleeping of a night I am now also on 300mg of Ranitidine.

In my naivety I was hoping that I would gradually get back to feeling " normal " but by what I have read of others experiences on here that is just wishful thinking on my part.I know there are far worse things that can happen with my health but it does worry me that they cannot tell me why acid is getting into my stomach and it also makes me wonder what the long term effects are of the drugs I am taking will be.

There is some great advice on here on how to avoid taking PPIs but given mine have reduced the pain I am loathe not to take them.

Good Luck  Ted

• Posted

Hi Ted.

Many thanks for replying.  I am still on Lansoprazole as it is a higher doseage than I was on with Omeprazole. I don't like taking tablets usually but if it helps.  How are you with taking the Ranititdine too?  I would love too to be back to normal ha, ha!  I guess these type of things will take time to settle down.  I am awaiting an camera down in a few weeks so will see what that comes back with.  Its mainly the eating part for me, as I am mainly on a liquid diet for now as I can't get solids down with my lumpy throat - once that is sorted and I can get a decent meal down me I am sure I will feel tons better! 

Amanda

• Posted

Hi again Amanda

Yes it is a pain taking tablets but what are we too do !

As i may have said I have only just started taking the Ranititdine and its replaced the Gaviscon I was taking just before I go to bed.So at least its saved me having to spend money on that. I am beginning to think that it is giving me a good nights sleep so its worth me taking it.

It must be awful just having to stick to a liquid diet as its bad enough having to restrict my own diet to particular foods and drinks. Thankfully I was never a alcohol drinker or coffee either so at least I am able to have my usual cups of tea.I am avoiding fried food so I am mainly eating chicken and fish.I keep reading that its better to keep meals small but I am not sure what size a small meal is.

Hopefully you will be able to eat that meal vey soon and that should make you feel better.

Regards

Ted

• Posted

Hi Ted,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have luckily had a call yesterday saying that there was a cancellation at one of my local hospitals for a camera down procedure tomorrow at 2pm so I am glad about that!  I am not looking foward to it but at least it will get it done out of the way!  Will see what the results come back with but I will be surprised if it isn't GERD or LPR but we will see and see what they can do for me after diagnosis.   I would be happy to stick to a plain diet as I am missing eating solid food at the moment!  I was quite overweight which I know doesn't help but with having this I have lost two and half stone up to now so hopefully that will help too.

I will keep in touch.

Hope that you feel better soon.

Amanda.

• Posted

Thanks Amanda i am glad you got your endoscopy tomorrow because you are that much nearer to getting a solution to the problem. The endoscopy I am sure will be made that much easier for you as in my experience and my wife's who has it done twice the medical staff care for you like they would a baby.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Ted

• Posted

Hi Ted,

Thanks for that.  I am very nervous about it as I have never had one before so will be asking for lots of sedation!  Where you and your wife both ok when you had yours done?  Also, did you get your results after the proedure or did you have to wait and get it from the doctors?

Many thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Amanda Its no sin to feel nervous because we all are.Chris my wife prior to me having one had two endoscopys so when I found out I need to my first comment was given she had only been given the throat spray on both occasions was well I will have to man up and also only have the throat spray.Which I did.

However if you are not pressed for time in retrospect I would advise having sedation as its not one of the most pleasant things to have done to you.But as I said previously if you do feel like being brave then I am sure that those carrying out the procedure will nurture and moolycoddle you throughout it.

Dont get too concerned about any comments that are made by the staff during the process as they are mainly talking to each other about where the scope should be.

Chris had to attend a clinic some weeks later to get her results and I had to await an appointment again weeks later to get the results from my Consultant.

On the day of the procedure the Consultants only comment was yes you do have inflammation in your stomach and before I could question him any further he had disappeared.Theres no reason you should be given grim news but if there was I am sure that they would treat you far more speedily if there was.

Just to give some perspective to all of this today I met my cycling group friends in a cafe before going out on a ride and one of our younger female colleagues joined us.This is a young lady in her 30s recently married who hopefully had cancer rather than has it now and sadly she still did not look very well to me.

So what we and our forum colleagues are suffering from is clearly preferable to wht my young cycling friend has gone through.

With regard to tomorrow try not to worry as especially if you have sedation it will soon be over and you can get the specific treatment you needto solve the problem. Best wishes again Ted

• Posted

I have had my Omeprazole increased today to 40mg daily in the hope that my symptoms improve.  I have had GERD for 12 years and have been taking Omeprazole on and off during this time (mainly when i get flare ups) but just lately, over the last 4 weeks or so, my symptoms have got worse and am going to be tested for possible gallstones and will also have an endoscopy for the first time but i don't mind these tests as i need to get to the bottom of my symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.