Omeprezole and gassy stomach?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have mild gastitis and have been on omeprezole, I didn't really have any side effects until after being on it for a few weeks where I have a rumbling growling stomach and loose bowels, it feels like a build up of gas in abdomen which is a little uncomfortable, just wondered if anyone else had this with Omeprezole? Prior to this like I said I had no side effects. I did read that the gas could be where the food isnt properly digested due to low stomach acid, I have zantac which I might switch to.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I found Ranatidine more helpful than Omeprazal. When you stop Omeprazal you do have a time of multiple symptoms comming back. This does not last. I am free from problem now. I also used Manuka Honey this is a natural anti-biotic. I used 25+ to start with then the cheaper 20+. I hope you feel well soon.

Maureen

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Maureen, yes I am ranatidine now and stomach feels abit better already, I will try the manuka honey, glad you are free from problem now! I have only had this once before thank goodness!
    • Posted

I too was on Omeprazole for four weeks, three of which I had constant and I mean constant, diarrhoea and a very sore tongue with mouth ulcers.  I seein the side effects that its possible to get hip and wrist fractres so having one artificial hioip and another to be done, I quickly went to doctor, nappied up and he has changed me back to Ranitidine which I had been on for 15 years.

We all react differently to drugs but reading the side effects of Omeprazole is rather frightening although it does not mean you personally will get these.  I have two friends who swear by it but I am glad to report my other symptoms have gone.

Good luck -

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I am now on ranatidine and my stomach seems to have calmed down alot thank goodness, yes we all seem tobreact differently to theses drugs

It seems like I could tolerate it for so long and then couldnt. ,

• Posted

Hi, I have taken omeprazole for 18 months with no real improvement in my acid reflux. GP has just given me 300mg of rinitidine is there any side effects?
    • Posted

Dear Amy we are all different with how drugs may affect us, but from my experience I found ranatidine sometimes made me feel nauseous especially in the mornings, I know it could have been the gastitis causing it but the omeprezole didnt cause nausea so much, but i also had the odd headache with it too x
    • Posted

Hi, thank you. I have been feeling sick a lot anyway not sure why
    • Posted

I also take citalopram an antidepressant which might be making the acid worse.
    • Posted

Yes it could, most medications have some sort of side effects!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.