Omg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have to have the hardware taken out because it is causing problems ..I really don't want to but at this point I do not have a choice.Its been three months since I had angel surgery I don't know what to expect are anything have anyone had the hardware removed ? How is the healing process? How long will you have to stay off work ? Please help

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shantell.     I'm sorry to hear you're in such a dilemma.   I can't really offer you any comfort because I'm not facing this ordeal but ... I have heard that it's a very straighforward procedure and one which takes a shor time to overcome - nothing so traumatic as getting over having the original surgery.   But as I say, it's only what I've read or heard.

What a pity you find yourself in this situation.   A few weeks ago, I honestly thought I would be needing to have the long screws removed from my inner ankle because I was having such horrible pain but now I'm walking (3 months after surgery) - I don't have any discomfort whatsoever.

There is so much soft tissue to get itself repaired and I suppose these inserts are an invasion.     Wishing you the very best of luck.

• Posted

Hey pauline it was such a hassel the first few weeks i have overcame that thank the worst situation..I dont really have problems as far as walkingi have a little pain nothing that i cant unbear but it kinda discomfort becausr in the morning its hard for me to walk but everything is healed up ..i just pray it not such a long healing process and my surgery go as planned thank you for your kind words ...good luck on your healing process
  • Posted

Hi

I broke my tub and fib last August, and I had 2 plates and 9 pins removed on the 14th September this year. Had my op at 230pm and was home by 730pm. Walked out to the car using elbow crutches. Had the clips removed 2 weeks later and was back to work 3 weeks after the op. It was about 5 weeks until I was able to drive as it was my right ankle. My range of movement is better without the metalwork as is the pain. I'm concentrating on doing physio and getting as much mobility back as possible. I definitely don't regret having it done.

• Posted

Sound great was you already walking before you had the hardware taken out ?
    • Posted

Hi

Yeah it was a year since my original surgery so was mobile but struggled with pain and restricted range of movement. They checked bloods and had no infection and gave me a ct scan which showed everything was healed and they suggested removing the metalwork.

• Posted

I have to have it removed because its causing a infection and i really dont want to but thats the only option and my doctor said its not a major surgery and i can be back at work within a week...they did xrays only so he suggested taking it out i just hope its not a long recovery time
    • Posted

The nurse at my pre-op check had said I would only be off work a fortnight but I wasn't ready until just over 3 weeks. Its nothing like the original surgery as there aren't any broken bones to heal this time. The surgeon did say that the bones are fragile for approx 6 weeks after the metalwork is removed but my recovery has been pretty straightforward and hopefully yours will be too. I don't regret having them removed

• Posted

Alot ppl are telling me its about 3 weeks recovery time but ima see and thank u so much im happy that u are doing great as well...how long did u have to use crutches after?
    • Posted

i used the crutches for a few weeks usually when I was outside and when I was outside and using the stairs.
  • Posted

Hi Shantell,

If you are speaking of removing screws...really simple. An incision just large enough to insert ascrew driver and remove the hollow screw..maybe one stitch. No oain.

kind regarjudith

• Posted

I have such thin ankles I'm wondering if I will have to have everything out. I can feel the plate and what I think are the tops of the screws, I'm not certain but that is what I think I'm feeling. Some times I get a sharp pain at a certain point that when I rub on it feels like a screw. I Really don't want anything surgery, but wonder if it will be better in the long run? I worry about arthritis With my hardware, And without it too. I'm so worried. And No one gets it up US!

• Posted

It depends...only your doc can answer if the plate can come out.

Also, as we heal it is typical for the body to push the screws up...that is good news. And yup, screws backing out can be wierd...if you wait long enough, you will see the shape and size of the slot in the screw...

Ankle is nothing, you ought to see what they put in to repair my femur.. I did ask how long before removal of the full length plate and screws...I was told that I needed these forever. But the ankle...out, all gone. They did leave the largest staple I have ever seen in the ankle...do not even know it is left.

Chin up...smile ten times so you can convince your head that all is well...and stay in touch!

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.