Omg-have I really got this!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I've read some of your posts and this- I don't know what to call it: disease, condition....????? Looks scary.

I've suffered with my neck, shoulder pain for a while now and they told me I had CS when they discovered that the nerves from my neck ( through my right arm) were working really slowly ( I was in hospital having treatment for tennis elbow and carpel tunnel, they do some sort of electrical pulse reaction thing in your arm, quite funny but bloody painful smile ) anyway, they said they would have to do an X-ray on my neck and that's when they discovered CS. Blumming annoying as I've been to the doctors a number of times in severe pain in my shoulders and neck and had given up bothering about it ( at the doctors) as they didn't seem to take any notice, just gave me pain killers.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if other things are because of CS - like my vertigo that started about 2 years ago, slight anxiety, fatigue, dizziness etc omg I'm falling to bits!!!!

I want to just add at this point, nobody really knows I'm in pain, I cover it up, work full time, run a household and have plenty of good nights out but all the while these things just sit in the background. I'm 44 and wondering if I have all these things now what will I be like in 20 years time!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Have to say, it does sound like CS. All the bits fit. Best way to have it assessed would be to ask your GP or Physio to refer you for an MRI scan of neck. And finding out it is definitely CS doesn't offer any answers either ! Some types degenerate quicker, if there's an underlying arthritic condition. If not, it can be slow degeneration, and taking care of your neck can make a difference. In my case, the symptoms I had 20 years ago ( headaches, frozen shoulder etc ) were worse than what I experience now. So, I wouldn't necessarilly worry about the future, it can go different ways. Main thing....treat your neck with care. Don't overdo any exercises.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you. The hospital have already confirmed the diagnosis and have discharged me ( very nice of them) they sent a letter to my doctor saying I had to exercise my neck and sleep with one firm pillow, I prefer 3 soft smile admittedly I was in more agony a few years ago then I am at this moment- it was more in the shoulder then and the doctor said I needed to relax and prescribed diazepam ( I would've relaxed if I wasn't in so much pain and they would've investigated what was the cause of my pain!) In the end I couldn't stand it any longer ( tilting my head back to apply mascara in the morning was a nightmare) so I paid privately for chiropractor about 2 years ago and it's been ok up to now. I can feel it returning- movement in my neck is becoming more difficult, even sitting can cause pain if my head isn't correctly positioned- I just naturally assumed it would get worst as I got older so it's nice to hear that this isn't necessarily the case, and that all these other oddities that I've developed over the past couple of years may be linked.

• Posted

Hi

I have to say I think their advice can be way off sometimes....a hard pillow ? I've found a Cervical Ortho Pillow useful for getting rid of headaches, but I also use soft feather pillows. Getting comfortable, especially for sleeping, really helps. I also use memory foam topper for mattress....seems to keep aches from neck down at bay (but not a memory foam pillow...too stiff !). Sometimes I'll have a nap or a sleep on a sofa, with my head propped up....seems to help generally. Mostly the symptoms appear first thing in the morning, but I've found that if I just sit it out for an hour or so it can ease off. I'm not a big fan of exercising or manipulating the neck. It's too risky and there's no evidence it makes a positive difference. I had Osteo, physio, traction etc in the past and never felt comfortable afterwards. Main thing is probably not to do anything strenuous that might aggravate the neck, and learning how to cope with the frustration and irritation with some good self management routines.

It's also struck me as odd that they tend to see tension as a cause, when it's quite obvious to us that it's the pain that causes the tension. That's maybe more a case of them only seeing what they want to see....I encounter this a lot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that when the pain eases, the tension eases ! Try putting them right on that and you might find there's a bit of attitude needs to be dealt with as well !

• Posted

You're so right on the attitude of some- I think one of my problems is that I laugh and joke a lot and tend to walk in to their room with a smile on my face, but that's just my natural demeanour . The pain I was in a couple of years ago was awful and despite going to the doctors on several occasions not one of them investigated, they just gave me pain killers. It was just by chance when they were looking at the problem in my arm that the consultant said ' there's something wrong with your neck, as the nerve reaction is slow we need to xray it' I thought ' I know there is!' neutral

It sounds as though you find resting it more beneficial than exercising it? Logic tells me that if I exercise it then I am putting more strain and 'wear and tear' on it then if I just rest it?

My neck has started to click again- which sounds more like a crunching sound- is this also a symtom?

• Posted

You're so right on the attitude of some- I think one of my problems is that I laugh and joke a lot and tend to walk in to their room with a smile on my face, but that's just my natural demeanour . The pain I was in a couple of years ago was awful and despite going to the doctors on several occasions not one of them investigated, they just gave me pain killers. It was just by chance when they were looking at the problem in my arm that the consultant said ' there's something wrong with your neck, as the nerve reaction is slow we need to xray it' I thought ' I know there is!' neutral

It sounds as though you find resting it more beneficial than exercising it? Logic tells me that if I exercise it then I am putting more strain and 'wear and tear' on it then if I just rest it?

My neck has started to click again- which sounds more like a crunching sound- is this also a symtom?

• Posted

Yes....the crunching is typical. I think it's just the muscles unstiffening...it usually happens after a bad phase. One exercise I do, which doesn't strain anything, is to stretch one arm at a time out horizontally from the shoulder and gently twist hand clockwise and anti-clockwise a few times. Usually I get some clicking in shoulder and neck and that tells me it's loosening up. When it doesn't click, it usually means it's still stiff and I leave it alone. In theory, I think , the neck is always trying to restore itself back to normal flexibility, especially after being stiff/sore for a few days. The crunching usually happens at the same time, but only when the neck itself is twisted side to side. To me, this clicking and crunching is taken as a good sign, but I wouldn't test it too far. I do believe that non-aggravation and comfort are the quickest ways to get through a tough phase, but some people prefer to exercise or take strong painkillers....I usually only take painkillers when there's a headache as well, and luckily, I don't get as many headaches as I used to.

Re the 'attitude'....one of the problems with CS is that they are really unsure what to advise. Unless the problem has reached the stage of requiring a neurologist's intervention, which really only happens when the symptoms indicate an actual nerve has been 'trapped' and surgery might be required, I think they find the other symptoms a bit baffling and just recommend painkillers and exercise. It's the same for all of us, and most of us feel we aren't being treated very well, and a lot of frustration can enter the GP/Physio/Patient relationships. After many years of that, I try not to let their uncertainties affect whatever I do. I also think that there are better informed professionals out there, but finding the right ones is a bit of a lottery.

• Posted

PS....your logic on exercising seems right to me. I don't think that anyone with a healthy neck ever considers exercising it, it just never seems necessary. So why should it become necessary when the neck is stiff or sore ?
  • Posted

Thank you for your advice. It's good to hear about others experiences and I feel somewhat better that this my not get worst as I get older.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.