Omg, I'm living a nightmare that never ends.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So as some of you may recall, I had lateral ligament reconstruction and peroneal tendon graft done in August.

My surgeon repeatedly blew off my concerns while recovering, after 2 accidents in October and November. He insisted there was nothing wrong, and got snarky when I told him I wanted a 2nd opinion.

I went for that in December, my new surgeon deciding I had valid concerns. He wanted to rule out rheumatoid arthritis and nerve damage.

I wound up having an MRI last month. My rheumatologist said it didn't show RA, which was good. She only said that there was some ligament issues. She never elaborated.

I saw my surgeon this morning and got news I never expected. After receiving a tentative diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome by the rheumatologist, I was floored by what my surgeon was telling me.

He read the report, but wished he had the scans to review himself. He told me that the ligament had stretched out again. He then examined my ankle, asking lots of questions about the pain.

He told me that it was possible that he'd have to do surgery. He then did a freezing procedure to test if surgery would help.

He'd printed out the report and gave me a copy. When he came back into the room to test my pain level, I asked him what the split tendon finding was all about.

He explained to me what it was, and that he would possibly have to surgically repair that. We confirmed the result of his pain test. It meant that surgery was now urgent.

He now has to repair the ligament stretching. That will mean a new scar. He said that if he opened my ankle and found it was rat sh!t, he was going to have to open the ankle up further. If he has to repair the tendon, he will have to do a new incision, he will not use the original. He says that it will turn into a major procedure.

Now it will be another 6 weeks off my feet, stuck upstairs where no one wants me.

Surgery is in 3 weeks.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Kristina

How B awful for you, I apologize that I cannot recall where you live, your age, weight and level of fitness etc.  I hoped to find this stuff in your profile becaue with it one is better placed to suggest how they would proceed if they were in your position.

Best wishes

Richard

• Posted

I'm in Canada. I'm 37. My last surgery was in August, because of the complicated recovery I haven't been able to be physically active. I'm embarrassed by my weight so I will not reveal that.

I've been seeing this surgeon for years, he's not new to me. He's been taking care of my ankle issues since December. I've been told he is the best ankle guy in the city, I trust him 100%.

• Posted

Dear Kristina

It's great that you have 100% trust in your long time surgeon but I'm a little confused because I think you sought a second opinion and he new surgeon seemed a bit doubtful about the quality of your recent surgery. I hope you can get some useful suggestions from members.

BTW anything you tell us about yourself cannot be traced to you as long as you hide your identity which you have. The more people know about you the better

they are able to offer worthwhile suggestions, but obviously it is down to you👧

Cheers Richard

• Posted

It wasn't that he was doubtful of the other surgeon's work, he was doubtful of his post op care, and he should have investigated my concerns. He constantly brushed them off saying there was nothing wrong, when there really was.

And look where that gets me. I filed a complaint against him and the information I've submitted has gone to a committee who will decide if he should disciplined.

• Posted

Dear Kristina

Thanks for exposing. I understand now.

Hope things start to improve for you. You could do with a bit of good luck now.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Apologies Kristina for typo should have been explaining not exposing of course!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Please tell us what was your pains and main problem that leads to more investigations?
    • Posted

It's now 9 months post op, and there has been a good deal of swelling, this because of the stretched ligament and split tendon.

In October, one of our dogs sat on my ankle. I went to get it checked out, and that's when I received an x-ray report stating that I had Ra, which I do not, and something else.

In November, I suddenly jolted awake one night and jarred my ankle in the process.

I saw the surgeon a few days after this, and he still insisted there was nothing wrong.

So I went for a second opinion. And that's where we are now.

• Posted

I was reading through some stuff I found from last year. The accident in October was not the dog, that was the previous year.

The accident this past October was my husband tripping over my foot while I was on a home visit.

My surgery is in 3 days and I'm scared. I don't know what's in store for recovery. I'm just hoping everything goes well.

• Posted

So sorry your nightmare is starting all over again. Drs tell us only we know our pain level then they must listen. I was so fortunate that when I told surgeon the boot and plasters had me in tears(and I'm a tough old bird) day and night. The nerve pain is cruel. He said if it causes you pain you can't wear it. The orthopaedic group I see has 5 surgeons 2 listen 3 are so darn arrogant. I wanted to snap their legs. It is so hard when you feel like you've been set aside and forgotten by family ,they really don't know what your coping with and their life hasn't changed. I hate asking for anything and I've always been a fuss bucket with my feet hate long toe nails and rough skin couldn't get anyone to do it all said yuck I hate feet. Who do they think took care of theirs. Lucky for them all I can do it myself now. And mother foot care serves is over. My grandson offered to do it but after seeing him cut paper I thought better of it and he kindly put oil on them for me without screwing up his face. He's a special little boy who's just happy to have me in one place. Yep he's a chatter. Truck cars diggers motorbikes and freeways. I know every road works to Melbourne and how many truck they use. Bless his cotton socks. I hope things start to look up for you. Stay strong. Xxxjen 

• Posted

My family doesn't want to do anything for me. My mother in law expects me to live downstairs while in my non weight bearing period.

My husband always says don't worry you'll be fine, he knows nothing of what I've gone through.

This will be surgery number 4 since February 2015. I can't stand any of this anymore.

It's going to be a long road that's for sure.

• Posted

Dear Kristina

I'm so sorry that your family is not rallying round when you need their support.

Your husband really should know and understand what you have been suffering and give you support. best wishes with your surgery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Is there a downstairs room they could adapt and give you privacy and access. My dining room was my only assess room for a few weeks. I knew I had to set it up for my independence. I use to hate microwaved coffee now live on it.that room drove me nuts as was bedroom toilet dining kitchen but as I was on my own and not sleeping it was nessasary. Being a thoroughfare was difficult till I could get to the toilet   The meds caused me to pee every half hour and then hives kept me up was going insane. I did have to have the odd breakdown and blow up until hubby realised just what I was coping with. I thank god he can cook. And am gaining weight to prove it. Hopefully you can get through to family. Living with mom in law well I don't envy you that. Keep communicating how you feel. You NEED to blow off steam. Stay sane honey. I don't know how to do the pm or I would. Xxxxjen 

• Posted

I'll send you a message a d you'll get an email notification I think.

I can't go downstairs on crutches so I'm stuck on the living room couch, like I was for 5 months.

It's not going to be fun.

• Posted

Dear Kristina

When you click on Reply you will see an envelope icon thing directly below your profile on your left.  On my smart phone the envelope ikon is to the right of the person to whom you are replying.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Thank you so much. Not overly tech savvy. Only just enough that can still live in this digital world. Again thank you for your most accurate guidance xxxjenni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.