OMG.. My liver is huge (28cm)!! Help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, i am freaking out right now, and i hope anyone can  lend some advice.  I recently had my ultrasound, and i was given this as the reading:

"Findings: aorta has a normal diameter. Liver left lobe 8.8cm long and right lobe 20.1cm long and appears mildy echogenic. Pancreas, gallbladder, and common bile duct appear normal. Right kidney 14.3cm long and left kidney also 14.3cm long with kidneys appearing normal. Spleen 14cm long appears midly prominent.

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild splenomegaly

2. Mildy echogenic liver which can be seen with fatty infiltration or infiltrative hepatic diseases."

So, i am freaking out right now - my liver sounds freakishly huge, and I am scared out of my mind. I keep googling and finding these average sizes...But reading this report, my liver is 28cm across! It doesn't even make sense, as the report doesn't mention its abnormal size  (like the spleen).  Has anyone seen anything like this?  I am waiting right now for my LFTs to come back, and i am just freaking out...

Just to note - i don't have any jaundice or other obvious symptoms that has been noted for me..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Fatty liver is epidemic now days, so you're not alone!

If it's alcohol related, you know what you have to do.  

Nonalcoholic fatty liver is most often due to high fructose consumption (sodas/soft drinks, fruit juices)

Dramatic improvement is usually possible with just a few months away from alcohol and fructose.  

Hope you see some improvement soon!  

• Posted

I aprecate the support.  I dont drink at all (my genes genuinely dont like it, but that is a different issue), so i know its all weight caused.

My concern was the measurements.Because i don't actually have visible scans, i am quite alarmed at the vague numbers they wrote for the size.  I feel like virtually everywhere i look, that would make my liver huge.  But speaking to the doctor again, they assured me my size was just fine (called it dense), and it just looked fatty.

I am trying to put my faith here that people who should know more than me, looked at better data than what is written in three sentences, and gathered that i am ok.  I just feel uneasy seeing numbers that, by most accounts, do not add up..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.