OMG This has been SO hard!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 4 1/2 weeks post TKR L knee.( 65yrs old)I had no idea things would be so tough and painful. I am taking long acting painkillers morning and night and panadol osteo during the day. I was so pleased to find this group discussion. Everyone says not to compare progress but i feel like i need a chart of normal variation just to check i'm somewhere within normal! OP was 9th NOVEMBER 2018. I don't see my surgeon till 21st DEC. I phoned my physios before i had surgery and they said they couldn't see me until i had seen my surgeon post op!! TASMANIA AUSTRALIA. Anyway i'm doing sit stands, now walking daily 500m icing and resting but i feel like every day is a slow punishment. ROM 90+ in the shower am but decreases during the day despite icing elevating etc. I'm using 2 crutches lightly to make sure i'm not putting stress on anything else. I have a pilates reformer bed and have done two VERY light (2 red springs)leg work sessions mainly controlled stretches. I Plan to do this alternating days. Thank you for a site to vent. My hubby is a GP who's been trying very hard to be helpful, but not really too empathetic, and my dear daughter is 5mths post double lung transplant, so i really don't want to whinge. Honestly i could cry most afternoons at the thought of another poor nights sleep and the prospect of facing another day!

THANKS for listening!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that things are so tough. i am very surprised you have to wait so long for physio. i first saw my physio ten says post op.

if you look at CHICO MARX comments on TKR he has a lot of very good advise.

i iced much more than you are. i was fully weight bearing straight away. crutches used just to steady me.

You need to be strengthening muscles around your knee and your glutes.

what bend and straighten do you have?

i took zapain (codeine and paracetemol) 4 x a day when i first had op. plus volterol or ibuprofen.

im in UK. i had physio from ten days post op, back at work (desk job) 4 weeks post op. hindsight this was too soon. i should have had at least another two weeks off.

Dont give up, everyone recovers at different rates.

one day at a time. do you do your bend exercises and strengthening ones?

please look at chicos advise. it certainly helped me. im 11 months post op now and doing well.

• Posted

thank you. I had physio day 1 and every day in the hospital 5days and walked every day. I'm doing everything on the take home sheet and googled exercise which i'm doing...plus lots of pre op leg strengtheners.. guess i thought i'd find it easier..SILLY ME 😃

• Posted

i promise you it gets better but ONLY if you participate in your physical therapy. I cant stress that enough. For me, getting back in the pool was what helped the most. It allowed me to stretch n get my knee bending again. If you're in an area where you don't have access to a pool, just do what your PT tells you to do. Massage therapy was beneficial too. It's been 2 years and i have no regrets

• Posted

Thank you. I'm doing everything religiously...it is WAY harder than i could have imagined.

• Posted

My surgeon did the muscle sparing technique where the prosthesis is inserted under the muscle. That made recuperating much easier then the traditional knee replacement but even so, use a walker and walk, walk, walk. I am an RN and ive taken care of alot of patients after surgery. Take your pain meds because you need your rest and pain stresses the body. It's rough at 1st but it'll get better. I used a belt and put it around my foot so i could gently pull up to try and bend. IT HURTS but you must try and bend. I developed scar tissue like right away and had to go back and he broke that up and it helped considerably. My PT was the day after. Slow and easy but the goal is to keep it moving and work on bending.

• Posted

Hi mary, i know its hard...think thats why drs dont go into too much on the pain during recovery but i will say -take the time to search for CHICO MARX he has excellent advice and not sure if i read you correctly but i did my exercises at least 3x a day - never missed i had pt come to my house 3x a week for the first 3weeks starting on day 4 this was how my ortho did things it was my only focus for that first month : rest, elevate leg, ice and exercise i'm 3 years out with no problems but it took me 8 weeks to feel somewhat normal you will get better but i know at this time, that doesn't seem possible - hang in there and nothing wrong with crying-i cried at least once a day

• Posted

Thank you. I'm doing heaps of exercises. I just had no real concept of the time this would take.

2 years prior i'd had a detached posterior meniscal horn reconstruction in November, and was snow skiing hard in USA in January...with surgeon's approval. I had a very dedicated rehab.(I taught high level snow skiing for many years) BUT this is a whole new unfamiliar rehab from the many knee surgeries over the years. i feel a bit silly now thinking it would be the same sort of rehab..

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I think we have all been where you are!

it took me 3.5 months to reduce strong painkillers and 6 moths to feel an improvement in mobility of new knee and to be able to sleep for longer!

Now I am 10 months down the line and on the waiting list for the other knee! My new knee is now the lead leg as the pain I get in the other is crippling!

Hang on in take it a day at a time you will notice an improvement however small each week!

• Posted

Hi Mary, hang in there believe me we could all cry at stages its a brutal operation and a brutal recovery,but your well into the worst stage so dig in and dont push too hard,everyday youll improve even though you may not see it yourself you are. love and best wishes from all the TKR brigade.

• Posted

Oh thank you. I've been ridiculously pukka about how i'd mow down the rehab..instead it's mowed me down!

• Posted

Thanks Jill. I feel silly for thinkng i'd sail through it all, but i've never experienced being teary and hopeless..even though it appears i'm doing ok.

• Posted

Hi Ho MARY - I am a year post op with interim surgery in JULY for a cement leak repair with new kneecap again and all is ok now. i can only agree with people who have mentioned CHICO and all his invaluable advice! He was such a great help to me xxx

Dear moderators - please sort this keyboard problem again.....re CAP etc.....you no sooner repair one problem and a new or even old one appears/ reappears.....system has been a nightmare for ages and we are all long suffering enough with our medical problems to keep putting up with your programming problems........thank you x

• Posted

Hello Mary. I had my surgery the same day you did. I am a bit confused about why no MD follow up for so long? Didn't he need to remove staples or anything from the incision a couple weeks post op? As others have said, PT is so crucial for recovery. Another important thing is weight bearing. As others have said, check out Chico's previous posts for some great guidance. I am still taking some pain meds at this point, but much less than at the start. Hang in there and keep plugging away but do see if you can get into PT as soon as possible. This is my second TKR so I promise things will get better if you keep working. As a RN I strongly recommend that you do NOT use a swimming pool, hot tub or even bath tub soak until at least 6 weeks post op Way too high of a risk for infection before then, which I am sure you do not want to deal with. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing. 😃

• Posted

I had the staples removed at the hospital. The wound is healed and good. I'm tough on myself..must improve on that. My knee extension was almost zero day 2, and 0 by the time i left hosp, day 5. I didn't even realise that was a big issue for most!

I'll ring the physios again today to book in if they'll let me. I see the surgeon 21st DEC. 6 weeks post op.

Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Wishing you continued healing. So glad you found this site to ask your questions and share yuppie experience. Lots of great helpers out here in this group. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.