Omitting dose in anticipation side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've just been prescribed orlistat but I'm really worried about the side effects that some have experienced (oily spotting, flatulence etc.). I know that these are more likely seen if you've eaten a high fat content meal. So could I omit a dose if I know I've eaten a really fatty meal, to reduce inevitable side effects. Will this work? I know this is counter-productive (i.e. orlistat in part works by conditioning one to eat healthily to avoid such side-effects) but this might help stop an isolated, potentially embarassing situation.

For example, I've got a wedding meal coming up next weekend (it's an Indian wedding so I know there will be ghee-laden curries, poppadoms, the lot). It'd be rude not to eat the meal etc. I know this will cause the side-effects, so surely for this one-off I should lay off the orlistat?..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, once it's in your system if you don't take a tablet and have a meal with fat you will still get the side effects. I would probably start the tablets after the wedding if I was you. smile 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi 

I know others have stopped taking the blue bullets when events like this come up and then go back on them. If you do start taking them. maybe stop the day before and the day of the event just in case.  and wear some panty liners just in case.  As long as you keep within the fat guidelines running up to the event.

Good luck with what you decide xx

• Posted

I've been good and stopped taking then when I went to a BBQ. Didn't have a pill all day and the next day I spent it on the loo!! 

Might not be as bad if only taking them for a week as I reakon it takes at least a week to start working!!  Good luck smile

• Posted

I would do what fat fairy said , after the wedding do 3 days low fat ,to make sure all the fat is out your system . 

Hope that helps you enjoy your wedding x 

• Posted

Thanks all for the advice. After much reading of others' experiences it does seem like you need to lay off the orlistat for 2+ days before consuming the fatty meal to get by without side effects.

I'm gonna start the pills for the first time tomorrow (I've made sure to be really good today- tracked everything ive eaten on MyFitnessPal and I'm finishing the day with 1f fat shy off the 35g limit!) All the best everyone smile xx

• Posted

Hiya, takes a good week to kick in anyway! Just to warn u a lot of us had a bad head n felt rubbish after a few days of taking them. Just thinking if ur going to a wedding. smile

Good luck. X

• Posted

Yeah maybe your right. I am having second thoughts.. better to be safe than sorry- and especially when I'm going to need to be in a sari! smile
    • Posted

Lol not much to catch a accident in one of them lol. Just thought I'd tell u as I felt dreadful for 3-4 days bet head bit sick and was close to stopping. 

When you do start them just drink plenty of water. 

To take them for two days and probably feel rubbish then stop them for the wedding and them retake them seems pointless. 

I'd get the wedding out the way, enjoy yourself with no 💩worries then be 100% and focused to start your new healthy eating. It's up to you but in two - three days nothing will happen to then stop again. 

Hope you have a great time. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.