on 3600 mg a day sleeping/not sleeping not eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having seizures for about 5 years so it's being used for that. I have them due to abuse. Any other adult on this amount? I've only been on this dose for 2 days

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should have this monitored regularly to manage any side effects. 

Sleeping / not sleeping - one daughter couldn't sleep but appeared drugged all day and slipped in and out of sleep sitting in the chair. She couldn't sleep at night., couldn't lay down as couldn't breathe due to the weight gain side effect. As long as you are being monitored regularly this will manage the medication and an side effects

• Posted

Thank you, yesterday I slept all day today and rearranging all my furniture lol (not a good thing, I'm not allowed to do stuff like that) but no seizure yesterday smile start with new family dr on 24th
  • Posted

Mornin,I've been on gabapentin for over 14 years and in that 14 years apart from the last 2 years have been on 3600mg ,even 4500mg but i read that the body gets rid of anything over 3600mg (the daily max dose)so i dont know why the pain clinic put me on that,mine is for nerve damage and although it took 3 or 4 months for my body to adapt to the stage that i didnt fall asleep standing up 😀 and appetite and moods changjng i returned to normal ,i did put on weight but controlled this walking the dog,because as you will know or find out you become lethargic (others call it lazy ☺),but when the 3 months were up i was able to enjoy life as before but getting there was a battle and yes i wanted to give up but I'm glad i didn't, i couldnt imagine my life without gabapentin and i've tried all the others amitriptyline, pregablin etc etc,so hang in there it will be worth it then find me on here and tell me hopefully how good you feel ☺,the key to getting through the beginning build up of any drugs is to keep talking ,to anyone Dr, mum,dad,boyfriend, girlfriend even the postman anybody to keep you on track and get you through the day,dont forget that you will come out the other side hopefully feeling better and it will be summer 😎,i had a operation which allowed me to reduce my gabapentin down to 1800mg a day but my pain got worse and i had to lately increase and I'm on 2400mg but i will probably go to 3600mg in the end,because of the increase i also have to go through the crappy feelings once again but because i know whats coming i just get on with it (not easily ),enjoy your day ☺
    • Posted

The important thing to remember each person is different as is the body's tolerance levels. 5 feet tall and small frame will have a different tolerance level to 6 feet tall and med to large frame.  If you are unable to walk due to the damaging effects of peripheral neuropathy you can't just walk the dog. It wasn't her diet or the lack of exercise. To gain a stone a month is not normal. That's nine stone in as many months. All the professionals cited the side effects as the cause. There are many benefits to the medication but people need to weigh up whether the negatives outweigh the benefits. It will be different for each individual
    • Posted

I agree entirely with what you have said. I also take Gaberpentin and Amitriptyline for nerve pain. My GP asked me over the phone what my height and weight was so he knew what doses to give me. 
    • Posted

Your welcome. Don't forget also that contraindications of other medication that may have an adverse effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.