On and off

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

?I am male and in my forties.  I have been drinking 1-2 bottles of 13.5-14% wine a day for a few months now.  My knee locked up completely at the weekend and so I didn't drink for a day and now it's working again.  I can bend it and walk.

?I say and do stupidnthings when I drink that make me ashamed when i remember them.  I need to stop before I alienate my friends.  I can stop for a few days and sometimes weeks without issues.  I am trying to go 100 days.

?Any advice would be appreciated.

K

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi..it seems that you have made a goal of 100 days.

So what you can do...do not pick up a drink for any reason.

Fill your time.

Replace that evening wine with a drink that pleases your taste buds.

Most importantly recognize the H.A.L.T. symptoms (HALT) stop and think about these things when you are craving a drink.

H-Hungry (are you hungry? eat...eating takes away many cravings)

A-Angry (are you angry at something or someone..try to rein it in)

L-Lonely (are you lonely?)

T- Tired (are you tired?)

These are the triggers that make most alcoholic run to a drink..if you can address them...your chances are better.

Maybe seek counseling or an AA meeting (to take up some time, even if you don't agree with AA).

It seems you think that your knee locking up has something to do with the alcohol...if that is the case...possibly you are dehydrated...drink lots of fluids.

And keep posting and reaching out for help...talk about your progress and your pitfalls..it always helps to get some feedback and support.

• Posted

Like Missy suggested you should make a plan..you can do it!! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.