On antibiotic for 6 days still have pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi everyone,  New here. Need support. 

Have had other flare ups, but this one seems to be not going anywhere. I’m on  flagel5 days now.I’ve done the liquid diet twice. I feel I need to eat something heavier because my stomach is not feeling like it should. I feel better  some parts of the day with no pain, then I get that painful bloat for a few hours.Then I’m fine till the next morning when I usually wake up with diarhea, then I get pain and burning for about an hour then it starts feeling better. Very confusing. I thought maybe if I ate more food it would help.  

Anybody have similar issue?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Delores how long have you have diverticula disease? For me the antibiotics didn’t kick in this time, but normally it takes 2 weeks or more. The liquid diet is no fun but it usually quiets things down.  If you feel like eating, I would eat but easily digestible stuff. I normally don’t feel like eating during a flair. Make sure to stay hydrated. 

I usually feel better in the morning until I have to go to the bathroom which is usually when my feet hit the floor. On good mornings I go once and I’m done, but during a flair like I had two days ago I go about once or twice every hour for 7-8 hours.

• Posted

I’ve had it for about 8 yrs. usually the flare ups last about 4 days without antibiotics and the usual routine. I’m hoping some of my issues this time are caused by the antibiotic I’m on, not because the flare ups are getting worse. 

I do drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Awful disease.  Thanks for your info. Get well.

• Posted

The antibiotics made me much worse this last time. Started with a 7 day course with augmenten, then cipro and Flagyl for 10 days, then IV antibiotics for 4 days, then cipro and flagyl for 10 more days. By the end I think they were killing me with antibiotics. They’re telling me I have to do another 7 day course before my surgery. I think the antibiotics were making the cramps worse, on top of the nausea, dizziness and headaches.
    • Posted

I found that augmentum did not work because it was not the correct antibiotic. I had to be admitted to hospital with IV to recover.it still took many weeks to feel myself.
    • Posted

Yes I think they screwed up the first round, but it was my fault because I told the doctor I didn’t do well with cipro, or flagyl. I was in hospital for 4 days on IV cipro and flagyl, that didn’t work either. But as this disease progresses and the more times you have diverticulitis the more resistant you become to antibiotics, at least in my case and papers that I’ve read. So for me after more than 25 years, it’s time for surgery.

• Posted

Diviticulitis never goes away?  Why the surgery?  
    • Posted

My sigmoid colon and part of my descending colon are in bad shape because of 25 years of DD. The tics are in constant inflammation and irritation and two spots have narrowed up the pipe. So two surgeons, the gastroenterologist and my GP are all recommending taking out the diseased portion in hopes to aliviate my pain. But to be clear diverticulitis does go away normally with antibiotics but diverticula disease is always with you. So I realize I could get new tics once the parts with them are gone but it took 25 years to get this bad so I’m hoping it will give me some good years ahead.
    • Posted

I'm curious mnisbett, did you have your surgery?  I'm scheduled for di Vinci surgery in August and was hoping you could tell me it worked for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.