On ESA after SSP awaiting result of Work Assessment - what happens now ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

For the first time ever I had to stop working last year due to severe depression and anxiety. I was on SSP and the ESA. I then had an Assesment which I am awaiting the result of.

My ESA has stopped because my sick cert has run out and my GP will not give me one without seeing me because I'm overdue a check up. However I have been unable to get an appointment and despite my partner explaining the situation to the reception staff and leaving two messages for my doctor they refuse to help.

My question is if my Assessment was ' successful' will I be automatically receive some money? Or do I still need sick certificates?

We are really struggling, have no heating and many other mounting bills and I don't know what to do.

Can anyone explain what will happen now re the assessment result?

Than you for reading

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    You're going to need to send in fit notes (sick notes) until a decision has been made. If you don't send these in your money will stop. If you're put into one for the 2 groups you won't have to send in anymore fit notes. When was your assessment? It can take up to 8 weeks sometimes more for a decision.

  • Posted

    You need to continue sending fit notes until a decision has been made. If your GP thinks you're still unfit for work they will backdate it to the date your last one run out. Once you send this to DWP your payments should resume.

    It can take upto 8 weeks for a decision to be made, and I'd be careful because if you have stopped sending sick notes then the DWP may well think that your GP hasn't given you one because you're fit for work

    • Posted

      Hi I have had three medical for the same problem and failed all three so I would expect a long fight on your hands my friend, I I appealing at the moment which i could wait a few months before I get a day in the mean time I have to sign on and look for work even those I'm not fit for work and I've just been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and been told to resign from my current full time job as a senior care assistant.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up