on gabapentin and the dose was just raised how do I stop taking this???

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 300mg 3x’s a day and was recently increased to 400mg 3x’s a day. My anxiety level is thru the roof I lost my job and my whole body feels like it weighs a ton. My depression is getting so bad. I want off this medicine and I want my life back! How do I do this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear teresa,I started by taking 1 less pill a day, sometimes I would cut 1 in half. Would do this for a week, then drop another pill, yes you will have awfully WD pains, depression, feelings of hopelessness, night sweats. Hands, skin burning. You need magnesium, all the B vitamins. Gaba depletes this in your body.  If you read back through the posts there is a lot of good information to be gained. 

It's going to be hard, but you can win this, we have. I started tapering off in Aug 2017, last Gaba pill I took was nov 17,2017.  Nov and Dec was hell, Jan. it started to ease up. Feb 17 I feel good. Still can't focus good and short-term memory loss.  But finally happy again. We are all in this together, all fought the fight, you can too.  And it will all be okay one day

• Posted

Teresa, I didn’t taper off Gabapentin since it caused permanent damage to my nervous system, by causing a sudden onset of an uncontrollable movement disorder after only taking two consecutive doses. It didn’t make any difference that I immediately stopped. 

After this occurred my doctor told my daughter in law to wean me rapidly off Xanax. It was brutal.

Since I used to be in a Gabapentin Withdrawal Support group that recently closed, I know they recommended a 10% water titration to make it more manageable.

You can Google this YouTube video:

”How to SAFELY Taper from medication (water titration) by Kimberly Navarre.”

Taking a bath with Epsom Salts is a good way to absorb Magnesium since oral use has a laxative effect. The RX receipt says not to take Magnesium within two hours before or after taking Gabapentin  since it will cancel out the RX. 

I’m hoping you will have a safe recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.