on gabapentin for sleep-need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi! long story short-i was on klonpin after a tramatic miscarriage (mid-november) till last friday, march 17th. i was on it for around 3 months at 1.25 mg. my doctor crossed tapped with gabapentin so i could get off the klon quickly. i am taking 1200 mg of g for sleep, taken at night an hour before bed. the past few days, it has taken me 1.5-2 hours to fall asleep. i am getting really frustrated and don't really want to be on another drug if i dont need to and if it isn't working. i am also on zoloft (200 mg). does it take a while for gab to get fully into system? i started at 300 mg when first tappered and moved up to 900 last week and 1200 on 3.17.17. any insight is appreciated!! thanks! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

With great regrets for your tragic loss........

?Zoloft is listed as having insomnia as a side effect, and neither drug seems to meet your particular needs.  I think when we go to a doctor, we say why we are there, they prescribe and off we go with the old drugs still on the books and in our meds cabinet. I have no medical training, but I would go back to square one, tell a competent doctor what I went through, where I am toay, where I want to be tomorrow, and then start from scratch giving you proven meds to try, one at a time.  What doesn't work well in the first place, doesn't mean that more of same may be better.

?If I am off base, you'll hear from others to read and consider.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

So very sorry for your loss. 

I have been on various doses of Gabapentin for well over a year.  It has never helped me sleep at any dose and I am trying to wean iff it.   There are other drugs you can take.  Even try OTC NyQuil, etc.  Works for my husband.  Just make sure you can take it with your other meds.  

• Posted

It's stupid but I got a dog! 2 year old sleeps beside me and for once I feel like I can shut down and if need be he alerts me! Honestly I have never slept good but this last two months my ability to sleep has been amazing! I'm on Gaba too for sleep and it help but something about having a guard dog has done the trick smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.