On going chest infection,61 with moderate copd bordering severe

Posted , 9 users are following.

As stated in previous posts I am still struggling with a chest infection. This has been ongoing since 15/ Dec. Dr refused to prescribe any meds and wouldn't give me a rescue pack. Finally decided to give me a sputum test and I've just had call to say I need to pick up a prescription for some antibiotics because of the strain of infection I have. Sorry to say I've lost all faith in my gp. To top it all I've had a telling off from my daughter for allowing myself to be fobbed off. Wouldn't mind but before this infection started I haven't seen my gp in 4 years. Hopefully the meds I'm getting will finally sort it out. In future I will ask to see my copd nurse.

since 15/Dec. I asked for

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a change of GP would be a good idea for you - good luck!
  • Posted

Sticking to your copd nurse sounds like a good idea ,they are always my first port of call,,,,,I always have stand by antibiotics and steroids ,but ALWAYS send in a sputum sample before starting any meds,as they can mask the infection ,Ito have have had a chest infection since 6th dec,,,which then turned to pneumonia ,,,,now after steroids ,3 lots of antibiotics,and anti sickened pills I am over the worst ,( well the pain in my left lung where the infection is ,,,Is Still bad ) but I'm getting there,hope you soon feel better ,you can rely on the copd nurses to give you the right advise and medication needed, best wishes for a speedy recovery ,
  • Posted

Have to say I'm not totally enamoured of mine. Problem here though I reckon is mainly too many patients to cover adequately.

Remember that meds like abs and steroids are not to be taken lightly, esp when you are not a severe or chronic case. I only got rescue packs after 4 hos[pialisations and Fev1 of well under 20.

Because these infections can clear upon their own almost overnight, the waiting game he played / erring on the side of caution is defensible, particularly if there are worries about side effects but, of course, not too pleasant for you. 

Unless things are different where you are, your resp nurse should be your 1st port of call. Ask her for her mobile number too.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Has'nt your gp sullied you with standby medication??, I always have a course of doxycycline and steroids on hand just in case I get a chest infection, I have just used my stand by's so all I have to do now is telephone the receptionist and my stand by's will ready the following day, ask your gp regarding this, Max.

• Posted

Hi flydog, gp wouldn't give standby meds he doesn't agree with giving them and says that I'm not serious enough anyway. I agree that antibiotics can't be given all the time but what's annoyed me is the fact that he sent off a sputum sample after all this time and not earlier. Gonna go straight to copd nurse in future.
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I was diagnosed with COPD 12 years ago and it was the consutant I was under who prescribed standby medication, and it's been a god send to me, just hope things work out for you.

• Posted

Thanks flydog, I've just picked up my course of abs doxycycline so hopefully they will sort me out but in future I'l ask to see the copd nurse.
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I went down to my gp's to replenish my doxycycline, she asked how many times in the year I use these and I replied about three times, she gave me a priscription for 50 capsules, saving her and me the time, how;s that

• Posted

That's brilliant, I'm halfway through a course of doxycycline and definitely on the mend. Just wish I'd been given them a few weeks ago. Next time I have a chest infection I'm going straight to my copd nurse and I will hopefully get sorted much sooner. When I enquired about rescue pack of meds from gp he mentioned that he didn't agree with handing them out due to people taking them when not needed. To be honest I know when I'm starting with a chest infection because I get aches and pains in my neck and shoulders. Makes me wonder if gp is classing all his patients as been timewasters. Would move to a different practise but knowing my luck I'd get one the same or worse. Glad your sorted though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.