On holiday & have a cough & cold

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on holiday& have just caught the cough & cold that's going round. Feeling very down.....don't want to get an infection. Using "first defence" & have a herbal cough remedy. Take azithromycin 3 times a week for Bx. Any suggestions of what else I can do? Had to take extra antibiotics for chest infection a few weeks ago. Should I start taking more now?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're not well Jean. It's difficult to know when to start anti-biotics, but over the years I have learned to understand my body and when I need ABs. The colour and quantity of sputum is my usual best indication of an infection. I suspect that's the indication for most Bx sufferers.I also get headaches and a dull ache in the bottom left area of my back. These types of subtle symptoms are probably more individual. Recently I have been taking oregano oil when I feel like I'm getting a virus. I've been using it for about 6 months now, and several times I've felt like I'm getting a cold or a chest infection and each time the oregano oil has prevented an illness developing. It's worth a try, and I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else uses it.

Regards,

John

• Posted

Thanks John. Interested to hear about oregano oil & I will certainly look into it & maybe give it a try. Thanks also for your prompt reply, it's so reassuring knowing that there are others who understand. 

• Posted

Hi, Jean,  

Take Vitamin C a lot of it like 2 500 mg tabs or capsules and if you normally take Vitamin C then up the dosage to 500 mg more.

That's it and the cold will lessen and you'll feel much better almost right away.  If you do it the first moment you feel like you are getting a cold it prevents it from getting worse.

Tabatha

• Posted

Hi Jean4. I have been wondering about going  on holiday. They say the air which is continually fed through to the cabin harbours all sorts of germs. How did u manage on the flight? I would love to go abroad just to get away from the continual greyness of the uk. I wory about being unable to control my coughing and upseting people. Did u take antibiotics with u? Anyway, hope u have had a nice time.

• Posted

Hi Sue, yes I take azithromycin 3 times a week anyway but I also take plenty of emergency antibiotics with me in case of need. I don't usually have any problems during flight but I often seem to come down with a cold soon afterwards but not always. I don't like to let Bx stop me from doing things if possible.

• Posted

Yes thanks Sue.....nice to be in the warmth & sunshine even though I didn't feel 100% for some of the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.