On holiday, need some support please xxxx

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, my name is courtney, i suffer with health anxiety, alot, i am terrified i have a sinister illness and my anxiety causes all sorts of physical symptoms like blurred vision, dizziness, etc. I am currently on holiday and this is the 7th nught (our last night) and we came back to the hotel to have a nice night together, when i found a brand new mole on my ribs, it is quute big-about 3x2mm, not gt a smooth edge and its not consistant colour, i am very scared that it is skin cancer, and i will go to the docs the minyte i get home (tuesday) but j literally had a mental breakdown in the hotel, i was shaking, cryjng, pacing, had diahierra, felt nauseous, my boyfriend calmed me down but i cant stop worrying as before my holiday i have been going on the tanning bed which i did do regually anyway, i cant stop thinking about it and my boyfriend is annoyed by me now, and i dont know how to stop worrying, i dont think i will be able to stop worrying until a doctor guves me the all clear

please help me, i am so scared xxxx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Courtney,

I feel for you.  Health concerns can become all consuming and panic attacks and other physical symptoms can take a real toll on your nervous system.  Two weeks ago, my left inside of my leg went numb out of the blue for no reason at all.  I was convinced that I had a Deep Vein Thrombosis (which is a deep blood clot) and that the clot was going to let loose any minute and enter my lungs and I would be dead before anyone could do anything about it.  I worried and obsessed about this for days.  Finally, I knew I had to see a doctor that day because I was convinced it could let loose any second.  My regular doctor's office was closed for the day, so I ended up going to my allergist, who wasn't there.  The nurse looked at it and finally convinced me that I had to go to the ER--not because she believed it was Deep Vein Thrombosis, but what if it was?  I didn't want to, but I was so obsessed with it and so worried and panicky that I did go.  And, to my relief, no Deep Vein Thrombosis.  Actually, they didn't know what it was, but my relief was palpable that I wasn't going to die any minute.  So, my advice to you is to go to the doctor as soon as possible (not the ER).  You're not going to die any minute, but you do need to know what it is--but 99% of the time, these things turn out to be nothing.  But, I know that you'll keep worrying about it until you know.  And if your doctor isn't available, please go to someone else.  I know how obsessive frightening thoughts can get.  Visualize in your mind that everything will be ok.  Picture yourself in the room with the doctor and that s/he is saying that the mole is perfectly normal and nothing to become worried about.  It will calm your mind.  I use something you might find helpful.  Bach's Rescue Remedy Spray seems to calm me down--my brain and my whole system.  I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Courtney, you need to tackle your fear of dying. Then you will  be able to enjoy life while you have it. This is your real problem. I have been there. Of course most ailments will be something simple, but we all know we will not live forever. You need to come to terms with this, and not look back on a wasted life. With love, Anne
  • Posted

Also decide if its worth having a tan and causing yourself needless worry!
    • Posted

To start with I think they should ban tanning beds.  I have had HA nearly all my life so I know what you are going through. Sometimes the thought of getting these illnesses is worse than the disease itself.  Remember if it is cancerous you have gone to the docs straight away which is good.  Most moles are benign.  If it is benign this should be a wake up call not to go on a sun bed and use a high rated dun cream. A tan isn't everything.  Let me know how you get on.  Take care.  Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.